My friend just had her baby at 34 weeks!?

She got sent out of town right before she had her baby, she hasn't called me yet...I know she had a boy. Is the baby going to be okay? have you ever had someone experience this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby was born at 35 weeks. He was perfectly fine. 34 weeks isn't that bad, theres more than 95% chance of survival. Good luck to her and congrats.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• a baby born at 34 weeks in premature, but late enough where there's a high chance of being OK. The baby may need some help breathing and feeding until he can do so on his own (usually happens right when they would have become full term) Mine was born at 36 weeks which was 1 week before considered full term. Other than needing a little oxygen the 1st few hours she did great. She's 3 now, you'd never ever guess!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 34 weeks is def. considered viable. There may be some complications and the baby may be hooked up to some machines for a little while but all of this is speculation. He could be just fine!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son was born the day i turned 34 weeks... and he was PERFECT !

They did tests to make sure his lungs were ok and had to do a carseat test ( to make sure he fit into it properly)... but everything was ok and we went home 2 days later
    AmericanaQueen

Answer by AmericanaQueen at 6:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Every baby is different. My son was born at 35 weeks. He stayed in the hospital for 18 days. His lungs were fine but he had a hard time grasping eating and breathing at the same time. He is now a healthy 3 1/2 year old. You would never guess that he was a preemie.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He should be fine. My cousin just had twins at 27 weeks on Tuesday. :(
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Her baby should be fine, I had my youngest at 25 weeks, we had our ups and downs and after 5 months in NICU he finally got to come home. Every day spent in the womb counts and your friends baby has an excellent chance of survival.
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 8:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He will be fine... God bless you...
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 9:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That's good. He will be fine.Congrads
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Not a lot of risks for most babies born at 34 weeks. Mine was born at 34 weeks and was 5 lbs 11oz and only in the NICU for 6 days.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010