What would you do!!!

OK my sisters and I have play dates at least once a week.
Also keep this in mind my son is 2 years old my sisters son is 1 years old.
MY son and hers seem to never get along my son hits him and her son hits mine. I know my son is older but that little boy pick fight with him at times.
Here excuse is that my son is older and her son doesn't know better.
I always have to put him in time out or spank him when he hits her son but she never says anything to her for messing with mine.
Have you been in this situation before? How do you handle it?
I don't want to stop seen my sister because are kids don't get along.

elisabellaguna

Asked by elisabellaguna at 6:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children that age do not do cooperative play yet. They play with things they want and do not share yet. When I had play dates with friends we sat on the floor with the kids and supervised closely so we ALL had a nice time. Make sure the kids are getting praise for doing things right too. Sometimes they go for the negative attention if they don't get any positive attention or reinforcement.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter is 14 months old, and I can't say that she knows the difference between hitting and not hitting as she has never hit anyone. But closer to two they do start learning those kinds of things. I'm really not sure what to suggest. Are they both cranky when they're playing? Make sure they're both happy and well rested before encouraging them to play together.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would correct both of them. that's just how we roll though, she doesn't have kids yet but she corrects my son if it's needed, like if i didn't see what happened or i'm busy with dd to deal with something right then and there. she's really good with kids
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am in the same situation but my nephew keeps biting my son. And even though they are only a couple of months apart (both a 3) I still get mad.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• 2yr olds share....i have my dd to prove it
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well..I think both kids are a bit young to know any better. Boys are MUCH different than girls when it comes to sharing ad physical control. Both boys should be repremanded and talked to about not hitting. The other thought is to ignore it all together. My cousins and I agree not to intefere unless it's serious. I have to say it works beautifully. The challenge? Getting your sis on board..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i had the same problem with my sister an our sons they 2 wks a part..she would spank mine when he did something to her but act like she didnt see when hers hit mine..i got tired of it after mine would be bruised from hers hitting him so much..i put the issue on front street..an told her that if her son keeps hitting mine an she dont see it..im going to whoop her a** an her son a** cause obvisously she must be blind an death when its happening..
    yes i no its wrong to be so mean but i got tired of my son being scared of his cousin an aunt..but i never had a problem again..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• OMG FreeSpritT! That's horrible! Do you allow spanking?? I don't mind riends and family reprimanding my child (for the most part) but spanking? No feakin way!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010