How do you get your 2 1/2 year old son to go number 2 in the potty?...great at #1.

Cristen K.

Asked by Cristen K. at 6:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not easy for my boy. But I have to keep his diaper off all day and he will hold it in a LONG time, I keep taking him back to his potty until he finally does it. I sit with him and tell him what a good job hes doing and clap when he does it. It takes a lot of patience. GL
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• WIth my kids we put a calendar in the bathroom everytime they went #2 we would give them 2 stickers to put on it. After they had a certain number of stickers we would do something special. Sometimes we would go out for ice cream or sometimes we would make their favorite dinner.

It is harder to get them to go #2 so you might try taking him to the potty a few more times. I know with my kids they usually went #2 around the same time most days. See if there is time that he usually goes and try putting him on the potty then.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• make shift tent..put the potty seat in it..an tell him that its a privacy tent like Superman uses when he changes his clothes..an big boys use it in privicy an he will get a sticker or reward eveytimx he does it..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am having the same problem with my 2 1/2 old daughter. I would say we are potty trained in the #1 area but she has yet to do #2. She waits until I put her pull up on at night to go. I am thinking about taking the pull ups away and then she would have to go. She has never went in her pants but waits for the pull up. Strange. I am glad someone else is going thought this too. I thought we were the only ones...lol..
    jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 12:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When he is being quite just keep your eye on him. Ask him do you have to go potty and at times just sit him down with a little toy or something.

Give him a little privacy. ;-)

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2010