Im trying but not sure if I am going about this the right way?

My son is almost 21 months old and shows all kinds of signs of potty training so I have started taking him occassionally during the day to the potty. Most generally he will pee in the potty. I reward him with a small piece of candy as a reward for pottying. Well I haven't started him on a regular time schedule of pottying just here and there to get him used to going. When should I start a schedule? Sometimes when I go to take him to potty he runs screaming NO!!! but not sure if this is related to the idea of pottying or just an age thing? Any advice?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't sound like he is really ready yet. I'd wait a little longer
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I know the older they get, the more frustrating it can be for mom. My oldest was ALMOST 4 before I finally got her done. We had a chart in the bathroom listing the dates and every hour, when she would go in the potty I'd put a check mark in the right box and she went wild over that. My youngest, was a different story. She was ready, KNEW she had to potty, but was so lazy. I tried everything. Finally I started giving her a spank on the butt when she would be lazy and give her high fives and all kinds of other good praise when she would go. Two days she was going and not even bothering to come get her praise! We are still having trouble with bedwetting, but that will clear up in time.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 7:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If he's upset he's not ready for real potty training
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• let him run naked an see how he responds to it..some kids just respond better to being naked..
    or try the homemade tent an put the potty in it..tell him its his privacy tent for big boys...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010