gifts for christmas...

im a first time mom, my son will be 6m dec 2nd i have apsolutly no idea what to get him for christmas. i have a walmart a target and a few other retail stores nothing like babies r us or anything near by

Jessica2195

Asked by Jessica2195 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• age appropriate toys, clothes, just don't go over board, he won't be really into it much at that age yet. Keep it simple, maybe even easy books to sit and read to him, ones with pretty clear and big pictures to help keep his interest. Good luck.
    jazzysgrammy

Answer by jazzysgrammy at 7:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Our son was 2 months at Christmas and he seriously got one toy from us. His aunts and uncles had spoiled him with clothes and toys... I'm not sure if our apartment could have held anymore.

We did, however, make a donation to his college fund. I keep a register of it and it shows who's donated money to it and how much it's grown. He may not appreciate it at 6 months, but I'm sure he will by the time he gets to college
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with not going overboard. He won't remember and probaly won't care. And, also agree that books are a good idea.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We gave our son a Mickey Mouse Ride on/Push along Fire Truck. He LOVES it. He'll be 3 this December and he still plays with it on a daily basis. Wooden puzzles, the ones with big pieces- We like Melissa and Doug brand since they are made in the US and are a good quality. Fork/spoon/plate/cup sets with his fav character on it. Wal-Mart carries the Fisher-Price "Little People" Cds. My kids love those! We play them on the dvd player and dance around the living room. Wooden Blocks (I think Melissa and Doug make a set that you can order online from Toysrus.com if you don't have a store close by)
    I'll try to think of more...
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• oops... I misread his age.. for some reason I thought he'd be one... lol.. Some of my ideas still work though and are toys he'll play with for a long time. And at 6mons, he'll start being interested in learning to stack things, so the blocks are good. But he may be a little young for the spoon and fork set! lol..
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 7:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• All I ever did for 1st Christmas' is buy them a 1st Christmas ornament and an outfit. The rest of the family goes crazy so we don't bother with the first, especially since they don't remember anyway.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He won't be using it right away, but the Fisher Price Ball Popper is a great toy for about 9 months and up. My son is 22 months and will still sit down and be entertained by it every once in a while. Board books are great for that age - also look for fabric books, or bathtub books.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with not going overboard. Our son will be 8 months at Christmas and we are getting him a wagon (he looooves walks) and filling it with books, puzzles, and age appropriate toys.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 9:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My dd was 7mo old and we went all out. Mostly clothes, jumper, balls, dolls, books, cd's, noise making and educational toys. She only wanted to eat the wrapping paper and crawl on the floor. When they turn 3 and 4 then Christmas is more for them because they understand and have input in what gifts they want.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I got my daughter a couple of small toys and then an exersaucer from Craigslist.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010