Do you welcome friends into your home even when they come without calling first?

I have a friend of mine that continually shows up at my house at the most inopportune times. Like today she showed up right after my kids got home from school and had already started their homework. I was in the middle of going over sight words with my kindergartener when I heard the knock at the door. I answered the door and told her that I was busy with the kids and in the middle of doing homework and told her nicely that I did not have time at that point to talk and visit with her. I feel bad now about it but I just can not stop what I am doing to entertain people. Was I wrong? What would you have done in that situation???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think you did the right thing, you were busy with your children and didnt have time to sit and chat. Your children are your priority and your a good mom. Your friend will understand, maybe call her and see if it was important.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 7:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would have done what you did. In my opinion, it's rude to stop by someone's house without calling first. I can't stand when people do that. I'm the type that wants my house completely straight and to be at least out of my pajamas if someone is coming over. And with a son that is almost 1 year old, that doesn't happen sometimes until well into the afternoon, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would've done what you did. I rarely have anyone stop by unannounced, but someone who does it all the time?—I'd definitely have to play hardball.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would have done what you did. Maybe she will call first next time. Don't feel bad, it takes seconds to call call and see if our friend is busy. it is rude on her part not to call first.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My friend are always welcome, even when i am busy. IDK, my mom is foreign & always taught us to show any friend, even pop up guests, the most respect, and i always have been that way.

I would have said "Well, we're in the middle of homework, you wanna wait until we're done? Or do you want to make it quick so we can get back to it?" I would have let her know that we were busy, but that i would still help her if she needed it. When you DO talk to her again, just tell her to call first the nest time. Tell her you were stressed with your kids or something & did not mean to hurt your feelings if you did.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think you did the right thing, especially if she has a habit of doing this. I prefer phone calls, and never stop by uninvited to someone's home. I generally welcome people into my home even if they don't call, but if someone made a habit of it, I wouldn't appreciate it. Years ago I had a friend who would stop by and didn't leave, and would stay through meal times, and I didn't always have enough food for a guest back then. It was embarrassing, and sometimes my family waited for their meal, I wish I'd had the guts to say something then. I was worried about her feelings, but allowing her to be inconsiderate of my family.

I think you did the right thing.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am guilty of this it was like my parents used to do when we were in someones hood we would go to their house. Sometimes they would call but most times just show up I would of asked her to come back later when I did have time or made a time to see her later.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• good job! my dh has this friend that he just wont tell him to leave. he shows up all the time! if dh isnt here is say go away, and im not nice about it.....but i cant stand this guy. hes a drunk and he comes over drunk and tries to pass out on my couch.....last time i slapped him repeatedly in the face because he was so wasted i couldnt wake him up....lol. then i told my dh to physically put him outside, and he did. but he woke up and came back in. he never makes him leave. drives me nuts!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I do, yes ... my friends are always welcome at my house! I'd have welcomed her in, fixed her a cold drink, and finished going over the sight words so that I could see what my friend needed.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I always welcome guests ... my friends certainly don't ever have to call first, they are always welcome!
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010