Murmur, irregular heart beat, or what would you call this?

I have pulminary stenosis. For those who don't know exactly what that is, I will include a link in the first reply so I don't have to type it out here cause I am feeling lazy. lol. Anyway, occasionally, I get this weird feeling in my heart. I'm not sure if it is my heart stopping, but it feels like my heart has to beat extra hard for a minute of two to get an abnormally large amount of blood through. So, what would you call this? Murmur, irregular heart beat, or what? Also, should I say something to my doc?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Health

• My mom has that and she calls it irregular heart rhythm. When she gets it she will thump her chest hard and it helps somehow.
    She was told to do that by her doctor as a kid.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• arrythmia, my daughter had an arythmia. and that is exactly how it works. it sounds like a beat is being skipped but in reality your heart pumps so fast 3-4 times that it takes a break and goes back to normal flow. my daughters corrected itself as they said it would. im not sure about adults though. dont know if it will fix itself.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I forgot to answer the doctor part. I would definitely tell your doc about it. I would just describe it exactly like you did here to the doc. He will know what to call it.
    Good lcuk!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I started having heart "episodes" about 4 years ago. My doctor told me I have PSVT, (which of corse is short for something I can't pronounce, let alone spell.) I've been on a beta-blocker ever since and it's helped alot.
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 7:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/cardiac/ps.html

I have no idea which type of the disease I have. And, yeah I do kind of pound on my chest when it happens and it seems to clear up. Mine has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I used to have NO problems with it, and now I am noticing it happening about twice a week.

spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yes, that's definitely something that you need to bring to your drs. attention. they will probably give you some kind of at home monitoring device so they can keep track of your heart rhythm for a while and then decide what to do from there. hope it goes well :)

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Without looking it up.... I believe that pulmonary stenosis means the narrowing of the pulmonary artery??? If that is the case the strange feeling would involve the way the blood is flowing into/out of your heart ( I can't remember). But YES you need to tell your doc about this!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010