Dinner Time = Hell at my house

Dinner time is my LEAST favoritevtime of the day! my 4yr old and my 22 month old do nothing but scream, throw food, put their feet on the table, push their chairs away and i just dont know what to do!
This all started a few months ago when i took my daughter out of the high chair and sat her at the table with the rest of us. I cant put her back in it cause she can flip it when sitting in it.
I start to twitch as soon as it hits 5:00pm because i just know whats coming.

Advice please before i lose my mind!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 7:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When they start doing this, take them away from the table. No yelling. Get down to their level and explain that their behavior is not ok. If they cannot act right, they will have to leave the table.
    If they do it again, they are done eating for the night. They will not starve by breakfast.
    They will soon learn that if they don't behave, they will not be allowed to eat anymore.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• In total agreement with the first poster.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Why type it all out again? The first poster said it just fine.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I totally agree with the 1st post and I have actually used this with my 2yo it works very well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Jademom took the words from me. No fair. lol. but no really shes right.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is important to immediatly remove them from the situation and then enforce your dicipline measures (whatever they are). Make sure that everyone has a clear idea of what is acceptable at the table but most importantly- make sure that you are consistant with enforcing it. That means that as soon as someone puts their feet on the table, there is an immediate reaction. NOT 'No, no feet on the table honey' because right NOW they will continue to push the limits until they know they can't Saying no repeatedly will only get them to do the behaviour repeatedly.
    Good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That never flew at our house. If they threw food their plate was taken away until they wanted to behave. If they were screaming their food was taken away or they were removed from the table. If they continued to misbehave they went to bed without dinner.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Agree with the first statement
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm also going to agree with the first poster - excellent advice!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010