my 22 month old doesnt speak yet.

she "talks" but only my mother and i can really understand her. The only words she can really say good is " sitcker" "bye bye brother" and "dog dog". Its kinda like she doesnt separate her teeth when she trys to talk.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 7:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to bring it up with her pediatrician but my nephew didn't talk at that age either. He communicated by grunts and noises. Finally they got to the point where they told him unless he used words, they would not answer or get what he wanted.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my first kid and my nephew were the same way..... they didn't end up talking much or speaking clearly until they were 3. hey,at least she is stringing words together... that's good :) i wouldn't worry about it just yet
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Is she able to understand and follow simple directions? If so, she may be ok. My niece didn't talk until she was 2 years old and now at 13 she doesn't stop. If you are really worried, talk to her doctor about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• my son is 22 months too and talking very well...he can say cold, cow, kitty, dada, mama, please, and knows all the animal sounds, but other than that he isn't saying too much....I believe he is tongue tied, i'm having the doctor check it out AGAIN next week!
    BradensMom1026

Answer by BradensMom1026 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My daughter was the same way. She's had speech therapy once a week for the past 6 months and it has helped tremendously. She can tell us what she wants, she points and things and tells us what they are, its amazing. She'll be 3 in a few months and she's almost on track with the rest of kids her age! And the therapy is a county service too, they even come to my house to do it! Its definitely something you should look into, therapy doesn't mean your child is dumb or slow or that you're a bad parent...everyone is different :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• when my 4 year old was about that age i talked to the pediatrician about this. she refered her to early childhood intervention specialists and found she has delays big time. she has been in speach therapy and prechool classes for 2 years now and still isnt caught up. hopefully she will be ready for kindergarten but they say she will need soeach theraapy through kindergarten as well. talk to the doctor soon, the longer you wait the less ready he will be when its time to go to school.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yea i assumed she was behind. My son spoke pretty clearly at almost 2yrs old. She doesnt go back to the doctor untill her birthday in November but is this a reason that they would see her sooner?
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• You don't actually have to take her in, just call your ped and talk to her over the phone about it. She/he should be able to recommend/referr you to the next step
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 8:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree wiht Cassie. Call Early INtervention for some help. They can do an eval on her and can help with services if necessary! My sons is 20mo and doesnt even say mama or dada...but with EI he is signing to communicate and FINALLY making some noises!!! Hang in there mama! She will be talking up a storm before you know it!!!
    jellis

Answer by jellis at 8:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• u can wait til her 2 yr doc visit an talk to her peEar,Nose,Thoart(ENT) specialist..they will check will evaluate them an check for inner ear problems..my 5 ds son had the same problem when he was 2..found out that he had a noise sensitivity issue..loud noise cause him to shut down so he wouldnt talk..also speech is affected by acid reflux..an how he eats..both my 2 dd an 5 ds had acid reflux which can be attached to the hearing issues..they only eat easy to swallow things like noodles,sphaghetti,milk,pureed,an soft to chew an swall fruits..ect
    or Early Intervention but i prefered my ENT better they are usually more extensive in their testing
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010