How would you handle moving w/ a 16 y.o.?

My daughter is 16 and a Junior in high school. I may have to move from MI to Seattle,WA. How would you handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• That could be a hard move for any age, but just talk a lot and really pay attention to how she is feeling and processing things. I moved on my own decision from MI to UT to live with my dad when I was 16 and even with it being MY choice it was still a bit adjustment.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I would try to find a way for her to finish school where she is, unless you absolutely have to move I would wait it out. I know this decision is going to be tough for you and I hope that you can make the right one for both of you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Is there anyway you can swing it for one more yr till she graduates? Is it a job thing? Or can you stall for one more yr in order for her to graduate from h.s.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was going to ask the same thing as beyondhopes, moving at that time in your life would be tough. My parents made me move from CA to NE my Junior year...it was horrible beyond words I still hate them for that. ;) If there is no way around the move, definitely talk to her about it. I would suggest if its possible to look at options where she could stay for the last year with family or a close friend to finish out her Senior year. That's tough...Good Luck.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i personally wouldnt. i would wait until she graduates.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It's both job and relationship. My work is dead here. We're losing our home in three months of 17 years and my Fiance may get a job out in Seattle. It would be a good thing for both of our business's. My daughter just spent all summer here at home by herself. She has "friends" in school. However, outside of school she has no friends. My Fiance has been waiting 5 years to marry me. I just need to find some kind of direction. I could never leave her here. She is to attached to me. Really no family who could let her stay either. So I feel up against a wall right now.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 8:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Have you sat down and talked to her about it?? She might surprise you. You could also look into online schooling options for her to finish her Senior year online.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Is there anyway you can put it off? Thats def. a hard age to move. IF YOU, have to... Then take a trip there and get her used to it for a weekend.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:54 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Based on your response she may not be as against the move if she isn't that active in school and doesn't have a lot of friends outside of school. My biggest issue was leaving all the great friends I had and the comfort of my surroundings. Talk to her about the move, the necessity and overall how it will be better for your family, give her some positive about the move that might help. I'm sure she can understand that you're loosing your house, the job market is scarce there, and you have better opportunity in Seattle to care for her.
    She may see it as an adventure - but a scary one.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 10, 2010