When we should start our child feeding herself with utensils.... she is almost two but is just used to being fed

moechicago

Asked by moechicago at 11:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know but this worked with my little girl months ago. just sit her in her high chair at dinner time and give her her own kiddie utensils. if you have a fork for her make sure that it is kinda pointy, so she can stab the food, and just show her what to do. the praise the heck out of her for even touching the fork or spoon and trying to use it. she will feel soooo cool that she'll start doing it herself. try starting her out with hotdogs or something of that texture first because forks easily stick into them and spoons easily go underthem. i hope this helps.
    BabyLove268

Answer by BabyLove268 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Start now. Redicks Pedi told me he should be doing this at 18 months. He gets utencils at all meals, and hasn't quite mastered them, but he will use his hands (which I hate). I bet she will do great with the fork and spoon. :O)
    Redicksmommy

Answer by Redicksmommy at 12:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Start now, even though it will be messy she should be taught how to eat on her own. Soup is a different story though, an adult can still spoon up the soup into her mouth.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We started around 18 months. They get their own bowl and fork for each meal, and I just let them do their thing. They are getting better and better at using them, but it can make for quite the messes. They think it is the coolest thing to be able to use forks/spoons/dishes just like we do. Good luck and be prepared for some big messes. =)
    jendraztwins

Answer by jendraztwins at 1:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Drake hasn't let me feed him in forever, he has to have his own fork & spoon! LOL Just give it a try, show her how to use them & then start giving them to her at every meal. Before you know it she won't want Momma to feed her anymore. Drake still isn't a pro at it & will occasionally get mad & just pick it up with his hands! LOL
    Drakesmomma

Answer by Drakesmomma at 1:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Dallas started around 18 months and is just now getting good at it. Just be prepared for a mess. And I did hear "hep hep" (help help) a lot.. lol

Dallas would still rather just pick it up with his hands though..lol
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 2:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I bought a bib that covers the entire upper body and put my son in his high chair, showed him how to use them and then just let him go at it. It will be a very messy messy next couple of months, but they get so proud of themselves when they do things that big kids and mommys and daddys do. So amp up the encouragement and hip hip hoorays and just let them get down right messy. Some of my funniest pictures are of Brenden and his spagettii from one ear to the other. Good luck. Everything is a process with these kiddos.. :0)
    BrensMomma

Answer by BrensMomma at 7:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Maris has eaten by herself for quite sometime now. We haven't given her a fork...but we got one for her bday coming up. She uses the spoon most the time now. She will still use her fingers for some things like corn, peas, etc just because I think it's easier and quicker for her. haha Just let her go at it she'll figure it out.
    marismommy

Answer by marismommy at 11:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008