10 year old girl?

My cousin lost her kids to child services, at least for the weekend. I have volunteered to take her 10 year old daughter for the weekend. I have no idea what 10 year old girls like, or what to do with them. So- what do 10 year old girls like? What would she want to do? What kind of video games? Bed time? Movies? Any ideas to keep her occupied and happy for the weekend would be wonderful!

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 7:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Disney movies, a little "girl time," you could do nails, hair, etc.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• All ten year olds like to shop for clothes and nice things at a mall or something of that sort. You could go to a movie if you can find one that is age appropriate to see.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• well ive watched my sister kids.. and often... She has a 5 year old, 10 year old, 13 year old, and a 14 year old. Fiona (10) always went to bed around 9pm, played with American Girl dolls, and she likes Nickelodeon. For movies, I would say like the Tooth Fairy, Over The Hedge, anything rated PG. Or G.. If its not too baby-ish... lol.. Good Luck!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 7:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would suggest taking her to pick out her favourite movies at the local rental place?
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Make-overs are fun. Take her to the video rental store & let her pick a game/movie to rent. My dau is 8 and still plays w/ toys, so not sure about 10 y/o. Maybe a trip to the mall. Let her guide the weekend tho, she may be upset about her situation. Bedtime on the weekend could be like 10-11pm. Let her help plan the menu for the weekend meals & help you in the kitchen too. God bless you for stepping up and giving her a positive female role model. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Sounds like she really needs you to be right beside her at this time. How bout taking her to the grocery store with you and checking out red box movies, they are only $1 each. Get movie food like pop corn and maybe veggie stuff to snack on. You could take her to the mall and walk around, maybe stop for a bite at the mall court. How bout Build a Bear workshops? Depends if you have the cash for that, but a new stuffed something would come in handy right now. Good luck, so sorry about your families situation, they are lucky to have you!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My 10 yrs SD like nick and hanna montana, and barbies. playdoo and drawing coloring art stuff.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• A girls night in. Mud masks, painting nails, fixing hair. Pretty much a make over with her favorite movie. =) & Dont forget the popcorn.

Sorry that shes going through this. Hopefully things get better soon.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My 10yo daughter just likes to sit around and watch TV (iCarly, Victorious, stuff like that). She occasionally plays Barbies with her little sisters. She also likes her DS. She loves the Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, stuff like that. Mostly just she just watches TV.
    She doesn't know anything about make overs. I'm a tomboy so I don't do that stuff. I don't wear makeup or have it in the house and doing hair for me is pulling it into a pony tail.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Thank you for all the great ideas! She comes from a really low income (as in mother doesn't work) situation, and I have a bit of extra money to do something special with her. I know she'd love a few new outfits, and I have a friend who is going to do her hair (She's biracial, and has a terrible afro- no one knows how to do her hair.)
    Annabel1809Lee

Comment by Annabel1809Lee (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010