is there a trick to the sippy cup?

My little boy is 11 months old now. i am have been trying to get him to use the sippy cup for about 3 months now. he knows it has juice in it but he does not understand that he needs to tip the cup up to get the juice out. i need some advice please!!!

Asked by Flynnsmoma at 1:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly i dont know what to tell you. I started my daughter on the sippy cup at around seven months per doctors request. She didnt quite understand that she was supposed to lean her head back so either she laid slightly reclining or we helped her out. One day she just figured it out.. and now at nine months (almost ten) sippys is all she gets.

I hope someone gives you advice to this because i know someone else who has twin boys with the same issue right now.

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 1:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• offer it more, he'll figure it out. sometimes remind him he'll have to tip it up. he'll get the hang of it. don't stress of these little cup mildstones, it's not like he's gonna never figure out how to use a cup.

Answer by dannersmell at 4:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I would take the stopper out of my kids cups while introducing it to them. It helps if they can actually get something when trying it for the first few times. After they realize that something good comes from it, they will begin to suck on the spout. Then you can put the stopper back in. It is messy and a frustration having to clean all that mess up, but it is really only for a short amount of time... maybe 2-3 days. Another tip is to offer it to them when they are content. Place your child in the high chair while you are cooking or cleaning... whenever, but not so much when they are ready to eat. If they are wanting instant satisfaction, they will get frustrated and just cry.

Answer by jrmkmbrown at 10:13 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• just be consistant. I had to do it everyday for about 3 months until my daughter took it.

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i would only drink out of them for a week and once he saw mommy do it he wanted to

Answer by Patience1 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• like the other poster said, take the valve out that makes it not spill, or if it can't be removed, make the opening wider but cutting it with a knife. Once your child is able to get the juice out without any work involved, you can gradually work up to a firm stopper that he has to work to get the juice out. If tipping his head back is the problem, recline him slightly in your lap so that he starts to learn that the angle gives him juice. Babies are very smart and it won't take long for him to pick up on this.

Answer by DHisKid3 at 11:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Try the Cups out that has the soft straws. Some babys do better with straw cups. Good Luck.

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I had a similiar issue with my grandson. I had to change the type of cup three times. Some kids like the softer spouts, some like the hard ones and others like the straw. Offer it more frequestly and encourage, ancourage,encourage..make a big deal whenhe even attempts

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2008