How can I help my 4 year old, she is feeling insecure/anxious lately.

There have been quite a few changes lately so I understand where it is coming from.
Her dad left for a few months & then came back, she started going to pre school 3 days a week during that time, so lots of new things. My daughter is the most outgoing - social person I know. Not a shy bone in her body - she is/was always wanting to go play & be around other people.
Now she is more clingy and more tantrums and everything is a big drama (ex. If she can't get her shoe on the first try - she acts like it is the end of the world, laying on the floor moaning, etc...)

I need to know what I can do to help her with all these changes that are happening. Thanks for reading this far.
Lisa

lanckn

Asked by lanckn at 11:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just talking with her will do more than you think. Also take time and spend with JUST her. Take her to lunch or a movie. Something special to do with momma may make a lot of difference
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I say if she needs to cling let her cling. She is doing it for a reason. Try to provide the most stability you can it is the best thing for her. Reassure her daddy loves her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My DS started kindergarten this fall, and he's going through the same thing. He wants to cuddle all the time, and he's never liked to do that. The smallest thing makes him freak out-his shoes-o' yeah, I get it. It's a kids way of releasing their stress from the 'hard day at the office'. If I let him play outside, or I have him play alone in his room, so the whole world is blocked out. Play dough, or some cuddle time watching a favorite TV show is good. It doesn't work everytime, or everyday. But it does work. He will grow out of this. I think it's like a baby. They cry because that's all they know how to do. But I do try to talk with my son each day about school, and his joys or concerns. He's usually not ready to do this until I am tucking him into bed-but slowly he is learning how to express his 'hard day at the office' maturely. But he's four. He'll do his cranky, freaking out thing for a while, I assume.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008