Babies Encyclopedia: What is the best age to introduce the sippy cup?

CafeMom Team will be posting Baby Encyclopedia questions in the Babies Category from Tuesday till Friday of this week. For every question you answer, you'll be entered to win one of the $25 Gap Gift Cards that we're giving away each day!

But there's a catch... only "real" answers will be entered to win the $25 Gap Gift Card. If you do not have tested advice or an informed opinion on the topic, please wait to answer the next question. There will be plenty of opportunities to enter the contest.

We are using these questions to create a mom-tested resource for new and expecting parents, so try to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling when writing your answers.

Read Official Rules.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 8:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as they can sit unassisted it perfect to introduce the sippy.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i started my ds at 8 months
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 8:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We did it at 6 months. He was sitting up unassisted.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I learned that the bottle was no longer needed when my daughter started to bite the nipple off of it. She was very upset that the formula was pouring out of it in a steady stream. I decided she needed to transition to a sippy cup and fast. It took a little patience to get her to master the drinking from it and to get her to hold the cup itself just right to get the liquid out of it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think the best time to introduce a sippy cup is around 6 months old. By six months old the child is beginning to develop their fine motor skills and drinking from a sippy cup is really good practice for that. It also encourages independence and self-feeding which is also important at that age. I like the sippy cups with handles on the side for the little ones just beginning.... it's much easier for them to use compared to the bigger ones.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I started as soon as they started baby food with all 4 of mine (around 5-6 months). They didn't get the hang of it right away but after a couple months they were all pros and could drink unassisted.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• All my kids started sippies at 6 months.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think once a child is able to sit on thier own you can introduce a sippy. It is great for developing motor skills as well and fun to watch them learn something new!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We started around 6 months and by 1 she was off the bottle all together.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Whatever age the baby is when he or she can sit unassisted and pick up and successfully hold their bottle.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010