What is a good moisturizing lotion for dry, African American skin?

A friend of mine adopted a little girl from Ethiopia, and this little girl has very dry skin. They've tried so many different types of lotions, and nothing is helping. Are there any good, extra emollient lotions that are particularly good for AA skin? We live in central Wisconsin, and you'd be hard pressed to locate a less racially diverse place than this. Thanks in advance for any help! Brands, and where to buy them. Also, I guess, if you could include product names for hair care as well, I'd love to hook her up with a gift basket of products just for her! She's 10 years old, and has the most gorgeous ebony skin! OH she's beautiful! And the sweetest child, ever!

judybant

Asked by judybant at 8:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Try coco butter
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Jordan Essentials Shea Body Butter is the best for dry skin.  Shea butter comes from Africa.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• shea butter is good..... try to get the purest one you can find and not the watered down 'lotion' one. carol's daughter has some nice hair care stuff. they sell that on hsn. idk if they're having her hair natural or in braids or what. carol's daughter is more for if you want your hair natural
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Renew lotion is wonderful and all natural - i order it from Melaleuca - let me know if you would like any more info:)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• try aloe vera...it also helps with dry spots and rashes
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 8:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The skin lotion that will work on her is Gold Bond.. It comes in Sensitive too.. She has young skin so, start /.this.. She sounds beautiful.. It's not greasy at all, & you need only a bit of it, & spread evenly.. Look to see if any skin reactions.. Her skin isn't accustomed to our products.. Take Care, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 8:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• What a wonderful thing for your friend to do :) Though we are white, we REALLY like Aveeno skin products. My son had trouble with eczema from being very dry, and using that regularly has completely healed it. It is gentle, unscented, hypoallergenic, etc. A little expensive but it's available at any drugstore so it's easy to get and try. Good luck!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• For the hair care part, if you don't find anything locally I would look at www.carolsdaughter.com .Moroccan Oil was recommended to me,and it's wonderful. There are so many variations of hair types and textures, and not everything is good for all hair types. I suggest a google search. NO chemical processes though.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 12:45 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Oh, and Gold bond works wonders for my dry skin!
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 12:46 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• straight vitamin e oil and shea or cocoa butter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:53 AM on Sep. 10, 2010