Homework help Please!

My son is in 1st grade and he's very smart, but it's 8:00 and he just finally finished his homework!!!!!!!!! Because he just doesn't want to do it, he doesn't need my help so that's not the problem, he yells at me for thinking he needs help. I've tried making him do it as soon as he walks though the door, still takes this long. I've tried letting him play with his friends outside first. I've tried a snack and then straight to homework. His two other siblings suffer because of it because they can't go anywhere or do anything because we ahve to be there with him while he doesn't do his homework! I'm going insane and I feel bad because I don't see him all day because he's at school but then when he's home I have to fight with him the whole time. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks so much!

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in

• Talk to the teacher and the principal about your concerns. Your son should only have 1/2 hour of homework max.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• For a 1st grader, I would have him show you what homework he has for the night. Then have him set a goal of how much time it should take him to do the work. Ex.- 20 minutes for reading homework, 15 for math homework, etc. This will help him see what needs to be done and how long it should take. If you have too sit with him while he does his homework and make sure he does it as soon as he gets home from school before he does anything else. Once he sees that he can't play outside or play games until he gets his work done, he will do what he has to in order to do those things.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm familiar with that issue. My younger DD was the same way. It's not necessarily the amount so much as it is the not wanting to do it. Period. Don't let your other kids suffer for it. If your son decides to piddle around with his homework, then one parent stays home with him. And, the other parent takes the other kids to do things. When he starts to feel like he is missing out on things, maybe he will change his tune. Right now, he doesn't care if the family is not doing anything because of him. But, when he discovers the rest of the family will just have fun without him, that might just be another story.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This doesn't sound like a too much homework problem, this sounds like a behavior problem.
    I feel bad for his siblings - it's hard for them to lose out because younger brother wants to be a brat.

I'd punish the yelling, that's totally inappropriate. I'd punish the non-compliance. And I'd send him to bed with his homework not done, and let him take the consequences at school.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 8:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Maybe you need to approach the homework in a new way. If it really is taking him that long to do it, you need to step in and see what the problem is because it will go a lot faster if you help. I have found that if they stall like that they may not understand something or like you said he just doesn't want to take the time to see it through. Either way you don't want him spending the whole night getting it done, and maybe a little intervention would help move it along. Even if you help him get started, at least he can finish it on his own or help motivate him to finish the job. Sometimes they just need to be motivated to get them started.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i would talk to his teacher...and maybe she can talk with him about the impotants of homework....also dont let him do anything until he's done...not even snack...or tv...and noooo outside play also try making homework fun like we do...each time he finish a problem he gets to do the homework dance... and both you and the other kids do silly dances or give high fives...etc... find ways to make it fun...hope this helps
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 8:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• specialwings and caseyandkids are exactly right... Heck, I'd even hire a babysitter to stay with him while he does his homework and take the family out for extra activities!
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He should be doing 20 minutes of homework a night. It has to be done and that is all there is to it. Nothing else until is done, and stick to it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i definately agree with jeremysmom..... homework is right when he gets home and he's gonna be expected to finish in a timely manner. nothing until his homework is done. i would also suggest giving him a nice quiet place to do his homework so he's not distracted and he'll want to finish because there's nothing else to do lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The first day of homework, my 2nd grader, sat at the kitchen table from 4:30 till 8:30 (bed time). It took him that long to do his work.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010