what should I do?

I watch a little girl in my home. Her parents pay me on a weekly basis, I am on salary- I make the same amount if I work 10 hours a week or if I work 60 hours a week. I get paid on Friday. They are taking vacation starting on Monday. I will get paid for this week tomorrow. I need to know if I am going to get paid my full amount for next week even though they are gone. Or if they are even required to pay me at all? I have asked several other care givers (even unlicensed babysitters), & people who have put their kids in daycare, & they all say the same thing. That the family should pay me my full amount to "hold their space" so to speak. Is this true? If it is, or even if it isn't, I am nervous to bring up the subject tomorrow morning. Help!

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you're on salary then you get paid regardless. if you were paid hourly then you wouldn't get paid.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Yes, you should get paid. I know several care givers who also take a 2 week vacation themselves and charge the families like they were there taking care of their kids. To me that's rude but to them it's a paid vacation and they think it should be part of the package.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• it depends on u..its your daycare service u make that desciion..
    my kids went to daycare an only paid for the days i was using..didnt have to pay for the days that i didnt use even if i went 2 wks w/o coming as long as i called or gave them written notice of how long an when i was returnig..
    As an independant service provider u make your own rules..but next time or next job u might want to have that added in your services an pay arrangement so their wont be any confusion...GL
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This is something that should have been covered a long time ago- before you started watching her. Here is what I would do, wait to see what they pay you or if they pay you. While they are on vacation, you need to take the time to make up a contract and/or rules. You need to have in that contract/rules that if a child does not attend at all for the week, then the payment is still due. You may also want to consider giving the parents one "free" week or 5 free days each year, where they do not have to pay if the child does not attend. This is up to you. Are you licensed? If so, I would also check with your state to see if they can help you with this or if they have templates of a contract like this. Good luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That was one of my perks when I did inhome daycare. As long as the parents gave me sufficient notice as to when they were taking holidays, I did not charge them for that time. Parents really like this idea. So NO i would not charge them.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• wow, I have never had a caregiver on salary, you are a blessing to many working parents. I had to commute to my job and I used to get stuck in rush hour traffic on the freeway coming home. My caregivers where always hourly and I think I took about 3 yrs off my life sitting in that grid lock trying to get back to the sitter before she started charging me double per hour. Have you thought about hourly wages,,,just a thought
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• the daycare provider i take my dd to is on a weekly salary. if she goes one day, she still gets paid for the entire week. but, if we go on vacay, or for some reason i dont take her for an entire week, then i dont have to pay.
    racergirl7

Answer by racergirl7 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• This should have been included in a contract. If you did not tell them that you would get paid, then the assumption is that you wouldn't. I would assume you will not get paid this week. However, if this is not good for you... when they get back after a couple of weeks you should let them know that you would like to add a vacation clause to your contract since you are dependent on stable income. And draw up an agreement to include it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• they have always paid me the same amount, which I am totally grateful for, & I don't THINK they would not pay me for next week. We never really talked about THEM taking a vacation, just if I took a vacation. But seeing as how I am salary paid, I would think that would mean that since THEY are the ones CHOOSING to go on vacation, that I would still get paid.

Beyondhopes- I do not want to go to hourly. Some weeks I work only like 15-20 hours, so I like making the same amount each week. But thank you.
    stressedmomma13

Comment by stressedmomma13 (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• still think you are a blessing and yes they should pay you if you are salary,,good luck hon!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010