should my babys father help me buy clothes during my pregnancy?

He said he wanted to help and in the beginning agreed but since he left in may now he says he shouldn't have to help me get anythng. He said that I shoul've bought some sweats and stuff that i could grown into and now i have spent a bit of money having to buy new clothes since none of mine fit and he doesn't think he should've had to help with any of it but yet he helped create this baby? should he be responsible on goin in with me on the clothes i've had to buy or should i just leave it alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Shopping

• I think you're on the right track...he helped create your current situation, didn't he? So I think he should be partially responsible for buying stuff and keeping you healthy and comfortable.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Buy your own clothes. Since the two of you are no longer together, he has no reason to. If you're tight on $ (aren't we all?) look for maternity wear on craigslist or even the Salvation Army stores and Goodwills. Sweats and men's t-shirts were my best friend's during my pregnancies.

Sorry to hear you're going it alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Morally, he should. Legally, he doesn't have to. It will do you no good to keep asking him. I would try to find some used maternity clothes, as many of them aren't worn a lot and are in good shape. You can find used clothes at goodwill, consignment stores, craigslist, ebay, everywhere! You can look nice and not have to spend $60 for a pair of maternity pants. Just shop around. As for this guy, he sounds like a real winner to me. Hopefully he will try and be there for his baby. If not, at least the law will be on your side.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 11:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I don't think that he should have to buy you maternity clothes. I think that he should be buying things for the baby though. A lot of times there are clothes on Freecycle. Sometimes moms even put them on here cheap.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I don't think he should buy you new clothes... clothes for the baby, yes.

you are responsible for you, he is responsible for the child.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i see where a lot of you are coming from but at the same time... he has not helped at all during this pregnancy whcih is why we are not together now. he would rather have his life and go out every weekend than to spend time with me. he helped and had fun creating this baby but has done niothing to help me or the baby at all.!!! I even helped him pay some of his bills in the beginning and he hasn't given me any money back or even offeree to help with the nursury or anything.i have bought my clothes at goodwill and other places like that but still have had to spend some $ cause i still have to work. i've had to pay for everything for this pregnancy and the baby's room so far and he expects me to want him around when all he does is fight with me
    CivicChik2907

Answer by CivicChik2907 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Sorry to hear your having such a hard time with him. Morally he should help you out with buying a few things, its the nice thing to do. And he should be trying to make you as comfortable as possible. BUT in reality this guy doesn't really sound like hes up for doing things for others. So sadly your most likely going to have to get them all on your own. As for him not helping with the nursery or other baby things that's just wrong. He needs to step up. He very well might not help out much until he actually sees and holds this baby. Then he will know truly what a treasure he/she is and hopefully help out. Even if he doesn't , you just go on with life and be the best parent you can be for this little one. I know its hard to be a single parent but you can do it. Best of luck to you and keep your head up !
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 10:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• yes, he should.

but he doesn't want to & pressing it further just causes more stress for you & the baby. it's not worth it.
    cpyrrha

Answer by cpyrrha at 4:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008