Can I get a Christian perspective on burning books?

‎"The people in Acts were burning things they had loved in order to get free from a bad influence the books had in their lives ... Have the people in Florida read or understood the Koran they are burning? Are they texts they once cherished,... but held them in bondage? This is especially true of burnings of works to which we have no prior relationship as is the case with the Florida church now about to burn the Koran. I can respect a man who turns from a book he has loved, because it has hurt his soul. Who can respect a man who burns a book he misunderstands and purchased merely for the show of burning it? It is stupid, offensive, and wicked in this time, in this place, for American Christians to burn books publically. We are not in the time of Acts, are not those men, have a different symbolic language, and do not live in their community."

Full article: http://www.scriptoriumdaily.com/2010/09/09/on-burning-books/

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• But it was rough... I feel bad that it came to that. Its hard line to walk. I do think that the Bible is the Word of God. So I feel that the Quran is not... But some of the things in the Quran correlate to what is said in the bible. However Jesus Christ is the SON OF GOD,,, not just a prophet...
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 8:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with Maureen. This guy is a freaking nut case!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think it is a bad witness, and he is not showing what Christianity is supposed to be about. I don't think anything good will come out of it if this pastor goes through with it. I hope he stays with his plan to not do it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He's only willing to call it off IF they agree to move the Muslim Community Center,-

well, you can't blame him for trying!! i don't agree with the way things were planned, but i don't pretend to know the pastor's heart, either. if he truly thought this 'message' needed to be said, he succeeded. and that should be good enough. freedom of speech, baby!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have been a part of burnings in the past. When I was a teen I gave up a lot of things in my life that were hindering my relationship with God. So instead of letting those things be a temptation to me or someone else, I burned them. I didn't buy things with the intent to burn them, I didn't draw attention to myself, it was a personal thing between God and me, with my own things. The event was somewhat advertised, since a lot of us teens made similar decisions. But we didn't call the news or made it known throughout our community. I don't see the problem with people burning their own private things; be it a Bible or a Koran. But the problem is when you draw attention to yourself and do it not for your own safety and protection, but out of malice and revenge.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• it is my understanding that he called it off.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He's only willing to call it off IF they agree to move the Muslim Community Center, and as of the last report I heard, they are not... Nor, frankly, should they!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• He did cancel the book burning but I HATE that this man calls himself a "Pastor". A true man of God would know that God loves ALL of us. There is only 1 God, and he has many names. This so called "Pastor" is preaching hatred and God would not be pleased. The God I know, preaches tolerance and forgiveness and Love for self and neighbor.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I watched some 9/11 video last night on Youtube and it still hits me to my soul. Hatred only brings on more hatred, we can never have another 9/11...we just cant..
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think books are words on paper and have no power over us in any way. I think burning books is not that big of a deal, whether it be the Bible, the Koran, or Red Fish Blue Fish. Its just a book and is not special. No I don't agree with the dude that was going to burn them, but boy did he got a lot of attention for being an idiot. At least we know its not hard to get on the news in America.
    TessaHoney

Answer by TessaHoney at 9:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010