Why So Much Salt?

Nearly every recipe I have calls for some amount of salt. All the chefs on Food Network and The Cooking Channel add so much salt to their dishes; they usually state the salt "brings out the flavor" of whatever meat or vegetable they are cooking.

Rarely do I use salt when I'm cooking. Even if the recipe calls for it, I omit it. Am I missing flavor? I assume that by omitting the salt, I'm actually preserving the real flavor of the food, and being healthier.

What is your opinion?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 8:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use salt in moderation. I mean a little bit in veggies and potatoes. I think it does make the flavor more bold. I don't typically use salt on meats though or in potato, pasta or chicken salads. I look at the recipe if it feels like it's to much I cut it back. Baking I use the exact amount it calls for. I don't like the taste of salt but I like to taste salt give food when used sparingly.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I always wonder if they add so much for dramatic effect. Yeah, they take a bite and roll their eyes with ecstasy, but they do add a lot of salt to their food on those shows. As for me, I add it when I am baking and to pasta water. That's about it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I cut it in half!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• There are instances where you do need to use a lot of salt to achieve a chemical reaction in food. For example, you NEED to salt the outside of a pot roast or pork roast to draw the water out of the fat and make it crisp up, and you need to use some salt to draw the liquid out of the vegetables you're sauteeing to get them to turn gold for you. In baking, you need to use the amount of salt that the recipe calls for or the items won't turn out properly, particularly breads and quick breads.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:28 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I hardly ever use it, but, I do on some things...it does add to some foods/recipes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i dont use salt
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When I am cooking and a recipe calls for salt, I will either use only half of what they call for or I use garlic salt (which does contain table salt but only half of the amount). I don't add any extra salt to anything but my husband sometimes does.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When cooking and baking adding the salt really does help bring out the flavors.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We totally use salt at our table. But, we use sea salt which is way less sodium. Sorry...don't care much for bland food.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I never use salt unless a cooking recipe requires it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010