dumb question does non religious mean you don't believe in God

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. Religious means you have a set religious dogma & your path has a religious history. Spirituality on the other hand doe not require a dogma, holy book, religious leader or history - it simply requires someone be open enough to find their connection to God/Goddess/Universe... Religion is man made, Spirituality is not - while you can easily be both, religion is NOT required in order to have a great faith, belief or connection to one's deity or higher power.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No just doesnt mean you follow any particular religion. My husband believes in god but he's not religious
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It really depends on who you ask. To some it means you don't believe the same as them. Generally speaking though non-religious simply means you don't follow the tenants of a specific denomination of religion.
    If you don't believe in god (any god) you're an atheist.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Nope! I am not religious and I believe in a higher power. I don't believe that organized religion is necessary to follow my particular spiritual path.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Not neccisarily. It can mean that you're just not affiliated with a specific religion, but have beliefs about a higher power. Some would argue that's not possible, but faith is faith anyway you cut it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It just mean you don't congregate or associate yourself with a particular group of people that have a believe. you can believe in god and just choose not to congregate or meet another people with your same believes.
    violetlady

Answer by violetlady at 9:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Not a dumb question. Some people consider themselves spiritual but not religious.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 10:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I believe in God but I don't follow any structured religion. So I would also say no to your question. And it's not dumb at all. : )
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• the previous poster is correct. For me, i'm spiritual; not religious. I don't follow organized religion. So some might say i'm not religious because I don't follow Christian beliefs.

Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Not necessarily. To me it would mean that you don't believe in a particular denomination of religious dogma. If someone asked me if I was religious, they would probably get a 'no'- however, I do believe in God (though I tend towards pantheism so asking someone their definition of 'God' might get a different answer as well!)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010