How much to charge for babysitting

My sister's sister in law is due next month and I agreed to start babysitting after her maternity leave. Well I have no idea what to charge. It would be for a total of 24 hrs a week. I don't want to charge too much but I don't want to under charge either. HELP!

wisemomx2

Asked by wisemomx2 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Call around to some of the local daycares and find out how much it would be for an infant part time. Once you have a good average then I would personally knock off some since it is family. For example, if the average for a part-time infant is $100 a week, then I would only charge $75-$80 a week.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Around our area that would be considered part-time daycare, for an infant, about $100 a week. It also depends what you think she can afford, you don't want it to be unreasonable for her.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i think u should talk to her, and both of u come up with a fee...bcuz like u said u dont want to over or under charge...so talk it over with her and try to come up with a fair price that both u and her is happy with...

TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 8:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I babysit out of my home.
    When I first started, I charged $2.50 per hour per kid
    Now I charge $25.00 per day/per child 9 hour maximum...$5.00 per hour for additional hours.
    For family I offered $20/day and asked them to bring some food or to just give me food money.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I would see what she could afford. It would make no sense to set a price that she could not afford.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Wow, where were you guys when I was looking for a babysitter? I couldn't pay someone $10 an hour to actually show up ON TIME and do what was expected! (as in read to, and play with, my child, not lay on the freakin' sofa!)

There were a couple of nice gals who would be great until they saved enough to move to the city LOL

Personally, if I was ever in your situation, I would call around to various daycare centers and find out how much THEY would charge for 25 hrs a week, and then go from there (seeing as you would probably charge a little less).
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 12:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010