Breastfeeding and TEETH!!!

My dd just cut 2 teeth, the middle ones on the bottom, and while she hasn't bitten me (yet), she has left two scrape marks on my nipple. Any tips on how to avoid this in the future and heal them before they really start to hurt?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, my boy is 16 months old and still does that sometimes, and he has alot of teeth! just tell her that she has to be gentle that it hurts Mommy talk to her, and try to detach her before she is finished with your finger and when she is going to latch on put your finger in a little making sure its all in her mouth good. It doesn't happen very often but when it does my son knows what I am telling him because it smarts! there is nothing you can really put on your nipple maybe ice them a little. Good luck I am trying to wean my boy! its time.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Teach her nursing etiquette. When she bites, push her face toward your breast to release her. Then, sit her down and say NO BITE. Feed her later...she will learn to associate no food with biting and stop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I agree with the above poster - my son went through a very bitey phase before he actually cut any teeth. I was very consistent with saying NO BITE, that hurts mama! Then I'd take the breast away and if he cried, I knew I had made the impression I was hoping for. It only took a couple of times and he was very polite after that.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It is impossible for baby to bite when actively nursing as his tongue covers the bottom teeth. I have found the best way to stop biting is to avoid it from happening altogether. Watch baby and see if you can figure out when they are most likely to bite and take them off before they do.
    If your LO is leaving teeth marks take a close look at what happens before this. Does he stop sucking and just "hang out" with the nipple in his mouth after he is through feeding? This may be when it is happening.
    Also, the scrape marks may be from getting on or off the breast. Take a look at what is happening there, maybe he needs to open a bit wider.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• An infant can't understand "no bite" or being yelled at during breastfeeding. It's not nice and can cause a nursing strike or premature weaning. Usually you can tell when your baby may bite. It is often at the end of the feeding. Either be ready to break the seal with your finger (if baby is falling asleep) or move the baby closer to your breast so the baby will open it's mouth and can't bite. Women have always nursed babies with teeth and it's not the problem most people think it would be.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• make sure she has as much of the nipple as possible in her mouth, it makes it harder for them to bite down, and your nipples might get sore but they will toughen up more eventually. When my son got teeth there were a few weeks where it felt like I had just started nursing, but it got better
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• say No bite!! in a strong voice and put her away from you , ignore her a little bit, and for your nipples lanolin and ice
    violetlady

Answer by violetlady at 9:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i agree with the other mommies on this one.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• First you need to evaluate when it is happening. Mine only ever purposely bit once and I simply pulled them into my breast to get them to let go and associate something bad happening to them. After that they occasionally would bite down when starting to fall asleep and falling off the breast. I just made sure that if they started drifting off to sleep they were not in a position that would allow them to fall off my breast.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010