pooping

my son is almost 6 weeks old and i am bf. Up in till a few days a go he was pooping 10 times a day no lie. Then it just stopped all of a sudden, and he hasn't pooped in a little over 24 hours. He is really gassy and seems like he is uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

kristi041281

Asked by kristi041281 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told it helps if you take their legs and gently push them up and down against their stomach and it helps release some of the gas they be holding in.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 12:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Mylacon drops worked for me. If it continues you might look into changing formula if your child is on formula. I switched mine to Similac Sensative and it seems to work a lot better for him.
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I had the same problem with my son and its because their systems are not regulated because they are not used to pooping through that end. If your baby doesnt poop within 3 days go to the doctor because that is a serious problem. Try giving more water but it shouldnt be a concern unless it has been more than 3 days. They are still adapting to their new environment. The gas drops are also good for gas I would just try the water or switch to similac isomil advance. That helps so much with gas and fussiness.
    Ashley200804

Answer by Ashley200804 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son also was pooping ten times a day at first, if not more!! He is now 9 wks n usually poops once a day, sometimes skipping a day. It's okay because babies can go four days w/o pooping and not be considered constipated, so I wouldnt worry too much. ( i was worried too, but my dr said it was perfectly normal.)
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 12:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I was in your shoes. I also BF my DD and she did the same exact thing. She would go 5-6 days without pooping! I talked to her Dr & she said it was NORMAL. But my DD was sooo gassy & fussy! I was told not to worry unless it goes past 7 days and her stomach gets hard or she gets a fever. I was distrubed by that! My baby was so uncomfortable. Here's what I did...if she went 2-3 days without pooping & was fussy I'd give her a children's suppository (cut a small piece off, like 1/4 of it). I worked for a Dr so I asked before I did this. She went within a couple hours. Also what works with gas is Baby Bliss Gripe Water. Make sure it's Baby Bliss & not the cheap stuff. It's all natural so you have to give it to him on a regular basis before it'll help real good. I gave it to my DD every 4 hours & she loved it. It really does work but it's a little on the pricey side. Hope this helps!
    DreamComeTrue08

Answer by DreamComeTrue08 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh, I forgot to tell you the Baby Bliss Gripe Water can be found at Rite Aid. I have not found it anywhere else. Good luck!
    DreamComeTrue08

Answer by DreamComeTrue08 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008