Anyone tried to take away a pacifier? Need some ideas...

My son is gonna be 14mths and I told myself I wanted the paci gone by his first bday. We tried to take it away at bedtime and it worked a couple times but my husband finds it easier to just put him to bed with it. We even got him to go to sleep on his own, no rocking him to sleep, we just put him in his crib between 8-9 and then he cries for about 2 min, sometimes up to 15 but he will go to sleep on his own. Anyone tried anything and it worked? I dont want him to rely on it. I didnt even want him to have one when he was born because I was breastfeeding and then the nurse gave him one after I told them no pacifier!

mrsmilander

Asked by mrsmilander at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was about that age, I instated in "In your bed only!" rule with his pacifier. He could only have it if he was in his bed. If he tried to take it out of his bed I would tell him that I will throw it away if it doesn't go back in his bed. This worked out really well for us, until he was about 28 months. He started chewing them up, and I was buying a new one almost every day. So finally I bought him one more, and told him when he chewed it up, he would not get another one. The next morning he had chewed a big hole in it. I made him throw it away, and he has been paci free ever since. Now my other son is 2 and half, but he's a thumbsucker. I can't throw his thumb away, so I'm not sure how to stop that yet.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you want to get rid of it, you have to be strong willed and stick to it. Sometimes that means letting them cry it out at night until they get used to falling asleep without it. I firmly believe this is harder for the parent than the child. When my daughter turned 1, I told her for about a week prior all day long that her binkies were going bye-bye after her birthday. When she woke up the day after her bday, I snagged the one out of her crib and threw them all away. Then I took the garbage out. I did the same with her bottles. The first week was tough at bedtime, but she's done great ever since! Good luck!!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter is 2 and we are going through the same thing.
    What has been working for us: We only do binky at nap and bedtime. When she wakes up she "tucks" binky in so it can sleep. When we're out, I keep little things like stickers or new trinket toys in my purse to pull out when she cries for binky so she can direct her attention elsewhere. Seems to be working so far.

Another thing we did was eliminate all but 1 binky. So I saw an episode of Nanny 911 or something like that. The Nanny had the toddler take all his binkies and put them in an envelope to send to babies that need them. SHe said that the babies would then send him a "Big Boy" envelope with a surprise since he was so big in giving up his binks. The mom later that night stuck a "Big Boy" envelope in the mail box for the kid, full with fun big kid stuff. We are going to try that idea too!

Good Luck!
    DanceInTheRain

Answer by DanceInTheRain at 12:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I just clipped the rubber part off of the pacifier and he just keeps looking at it. He tries to put it in his mouth and then it doesnt stay in there. I keep telling him its broken. He is pretty calm for now
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 12:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• just did that with mine and my neice at the same time.... we told them to throw them away... took out the trash.... and put them to bed. he went right to sleep after i told him it was all gone. he asked for it once the next day and i told him we threw it away and he hasnt asked for it again. my son is 19 months and my neice is 2
    terra6211

Answer by terra6211 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• at 17 months, I walked in her room to wake her up one morning and it was lying on the floor. I picked it up, put it in my pocket, and anytime she asked for it, I told her "all gone". There were a couple rough times, but she did really well letting go.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 2:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Because my son's school won't let him have a paci outside naptime once they are in the toddler room, we have just been through this as well. We just started only allowing Noah to have his paci at naptime and bedtime. It was really tough for awhile because he would cry and search for it. But it only took a few days before he figured out that he wasn't going to get it. And now when we give him the paci he knows that it's time to sleep and he is easier to get to bed and sleeps better. He is also less likely to toss the paci in the night and cry until he finds it...most of the time he holds on to it! Hope that helps!
    calkal

Answer by calkal at 3:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My daughter is 2 and she has 1 paci in bed for naps and bedtime only. She used to have two in case she dropped one and had them pretty much all the time. It was easiest for me to just wean her off in steps on this matter. She immediately opens her mouth and lets it fall out when she gets out of bed. I am going to limit it to bedtime next. So far she has had no complaints as I always tell her what we are going to do and I stick by it. When I switched her nap bottle to a milk cup I did that in one step and after a week she quit asking for a bottle. Being consistant and sticking to your guns is the best method to survive the short term upsets in the household. Long term success is the goal.
    mrspuddinsworth

Answer by mrspuddinsworth at 9:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• MY SON HAYDEN IS 16 MONTHS AND I'M TRYING THE JUST AT NAP/BEDTIME THING BUT SOMETIMES HE WHINES DURING THE DAY SO I JUST STICK IT IN HIS MOUTH TO KEEP HIM QUIET.

SOME DAYS I JUST WANT TO GATHER UP ALL HIS PACIS AND THROW THEM **ALL** IN THE GARBAGE BUT I'M SCARED HE'LL THROW A HUGE FIT AND I WON'T HAVE ONE TO KEEP HIM QUIET. LOL

I'M HORRIBLE.
    Haydensmommy620

Answer by Haydensmommy620 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i have actually cut them all and he has been doing ok without them.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 2:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008