I can't get my 19 month old to talk, any advice?

tonna86

Asked by tonna86 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess the only advice I can give is to talk to them CONSTANTLY about every single thing you can. Encourage them to repeat stuff back to you or to be involved in the conversation.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Start with single words and try to do it in patterns. My oldest was a slow talker and what the speech therapist suggested was to do something like rolling a ball to each other. Everytime you roll the ball say "ball". Do it 4 times and on the fifth leave silence for your child to fill. If they say something, great! If they don't fill it yourself. Then repeat.

"Up" is another great one to use. Everytime your child asks to be picked up, or you pick your child up just say "up". At some point you probably will be mimiced.

You can probably talk to your doctor to get a referral to a speech therapist in your area.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 12:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Talk to your child all the time and explain everything you do throughout the day. Ask him/her to respond to you. Teaching animal sounds is a great place to start, too. I would also suggest getting some sing along CDs that you can listen to and sing together. Songs that have motions are even better - look for sets that come with a book of "finger plays." --> Think Itsy Bitsy Spider, Where is Thumbkin, 5 Little Monkeys Swinging From a Tree. Good luck!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My son is 28 months he doesn't talk either... He can he just doesn't want to . So we have a speach therapst come one day a week and it's makinging a BIG difference! Talk to your peds and see if you have free programs in your area... ours is free here.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I used to babysit a girl who was just over 2 years and she still didn't talk! When I stopped babysitting and got a real job, they took her to daycare with other kids and she started gabbering with the other kids like crazy! She knew the words, just didn't feel confident enough to speak, she'd just point, until she met other kids her age! I don't want to presume that your child doesn't have contact with other kids, only state the fact that kids progress at their own levels and it actually takes boys longer than girls (so they say?) Totally normal!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 1:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I agree with everyone who is suggesting for you to talk to him constantly -- about anything and everything. However, I would definitely suggest that when you do talk to him...speak to him as an equal...don't talk to him as though he is this little baby that will only understand you if you change your voice, talk slower, and dumb down words to "baby talk". Talk to him (about appropriate things, of course) as you would talk to anyone else. I know this from experience. I was a single mom when I had my first little boy. From day 1, he became my best-friend. I talked to him about everything. I talked to him just as I would talk to anyone else. He always has had an amazing vocabulary for his age. Of course, there is always a time for silliness with funny made-up words and nonsense. That comes after he begins to master his language.
    jodys-jody

Answer by jodys-jody at 2:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you are worried though, you should definately speak to your doctor. Sometimes its just takes more time for one kid than another. Sometimes, though, there is an underlying problem. Don't stress yourself out too much over it, because --if I remember right -- the average child between 12 and 24 mos. only says 1-2 word sentences.
    jodys-jody

Answer by jodys-jody at 2:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i used to work with babies who didnt talk either and i used baby sign language and that helped ALOT!! i used to do it from home but dont do it anymore because i live in such a small town and it doesnt really match well u know.
    platinumdesigns

Answer by platinumdesigns at 3:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• If you are really concered about it I dont know where you live but i know that I work sort of with an agency that helps with delays like that. Its called early on and they work with families that need some help to get their children back on track. Try and see if there is something like that where you live maybe google it.
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I would also check out this website you can get an application to an early intervention center in your area and get some development information its a really good web page check it out.
    http://www.cspwal.com/education.html#earlyintervention
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008