Is he ever going to grow out of this?

My 2 1/2 yr old throws such bad tantrums over such little things. He threw an hour long fit this morning over wanting me to roll his blanket up so he can carry it around. I explained to him that when he could calm down I would do this for him. So while he threw his fit I ignored his behavior. This made him more upset and he proceeded to get in my face screaming louder, biting, kicking, hitting, ect...What do I do at this point? I pay plenty of attention to him when he is not behaving this way. I try the time out thing consistently but he will not stay in the corner. I end up having to hold him there for a long time before he calms down. Meanwhile my 3 month old waits for everything to calm down...I am going crazy.

Overwhelmed28

Asked by Overwhelmed28 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A time out spot and patience, mama! When he behaves that way, take him to the time out spot, get him to look at you and calmly explain that when he stops yelling you will oblige. If he runs off, bring him back until he sits for 2.5 minutes (1 minute for each year of age). He is old enough to understand what you are saying. When he is calm, thank him for doing so, then ask him to use a soft voice and explain what he wants. Good luck!
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• get angry with him my son knows when i am mad and that he needs to stay in time out... or put him in his room and close the door for time out... it will get better eventually
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My boys would not stay in a timeout spot. I put them in their rooms. And when he gets in your face, he needs immediate consequences. Punnish him right away. He's trying to get a rise out of you and if you let him, he wins. I know its not a game to you, but it is to him, and you have no choice but to play it - AND WIN! Take a deep breath - and good luck!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008