Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I quit my job a few weeks ago and my boss will not give me my last check! What can I do?

A few weeks ago, I turned in my 2 week resignation and my boss told me that she would not need me for those two weeks. Today, was suppose to be my last paycheck and when I went to pick it up, she told me that I don't have another paycheck. I double checked and I do have one more paycheck coming. I showed her my paystubs because she said that they had already paid me but they didn't. I gave her the dates and times that they still owe me for. She said she would look into it but that she believes I don't have another paycheck coming. She is the owner so there is not HR. What can I do if she says she isn't going to pay me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (11)
  • SUE HER!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to the those pay as you go attorneys and sue her. Your attorney will send her a letter on their letterhead it will freak her out and you will get your last check.

    Answer by 35yoamom at 9:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Take her ass to court.

    Answer by elly25 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • If you worked it is illegal for her not to pay you. You call a lawyer and ask them what you can do or you can call the Better Business Bureau.

    Answer by colethky at 9:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Small claims court and make sure you have plenty of proof

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • How would I prove that I worked? She has my time cards. I can tell exactly what I did at work that week, but if she says that I didn't work then it would just be her word against mine. I am afraid that if I do try to sue that I would have to pay out of pocket for court costs, etc and it would not be worth it. On the other hand, I don't want her to get away with not paying me either.


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by GinNTonic at 9:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Send her a letter that outlines all the info you have - the days you worked, the hours, what you did, and copies of paystubs etc. Give her a deadline, perhaps 2 weeks, to send you your last paycheck. And tell her if you do not receive it by XX date, then you will be forwarding the letter and copies of all the other documentation to your state's Labor Board. And then if she doesn't comply - call the labor board. They should represent you for free. You should not have to pay a lawyer or have any out of pocket expenses in order to get paid for work you did. The Labor Board can subpoena her records and she will HAVE to comply. What state are you in?

    I did this once and it worked. I got paid exactly what I was supposed to, on the date I specified. The Labor Board does not mess around and emplyers don't want trouble - it's better to just pay the few hundred dollars.

    Answer by getrealmama at 9:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • get a lawyer

    Answer by cassie_m at 10:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • Unfortunately, you may have to take her to court. Talk to a lawyer concerning how to go about handling things. Your former boss may have your time cards, but do you have any reputable witnesses who can and will vouch for the times that you say you worked. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

    Answer by bean4700 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

  • First of all, you said she told you not to work those two weeks. Does that mean you didn't work those final two weeks? If that's the case, then she wouldn't owe you for two weeks if you really didn't work it.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.