Did you go to school all day with your child on the first day of kindergarten?

I just read on my friend's FB that she put her daughter on the bus, then followed the bus to the school, and then stayed at school with her the entire day. I asked her if she stayed with her because the daughter was too sad or scared to be there without mom. She said no, that she wasn't sad or scared at all, she just wanted to make sure that she didn't get lost and to make sure that she remembers to use her manners, etc. She plans to go with her all day all next week too. She's a healthy 5 year old without any disabilities or obvious reasons why the mom would need to stay with her all day. None of the other moms stayed all day with their kids in that class.

Would/did you do the same thing? Or is that a little bit over the top? I only walked mine to the classroom but didn't stay, should I have stayed all day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a teacher I would ask the parent not to attend class, it's a distraction. As a parent I would never dream of doing this - I volunteered in the schools with my girls but wouldn't have followed them around. I'm thinking she will be asked to leave.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• no...I have already been to Kindergarten. Why would I want to go back now?

It is totally disruptive to the entire class to have parents there
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That's a little over bearing. If I were her teacher I'd be pissed! It seems like she doesn't trust the staff and/or she just can't let go of her baby girl. Time to cut the cord IMO!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• No, and I don't think the teacher and the other children in the classroom would appreciate it either. If her child wasn't ready for kindergarten, then she should have held her a year.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I can say no four times over. I have 4 kids & I never attended the first day with them. Sounds like mommy has separation issues.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Wow, I would NEVER do that. As one who has taught, I woudl HATE if a parent did that. That is WAY too over protective.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My sons first day was last week. We took him a little early, **made sure he was the first student in the classroom, stayed while the teacher was explaining things and for more students to come in. (about ten minutes) & then gave him a hug & left. Even though he started to tear up (I'll admit, I almost went back, but he brushed away the tears & sat back down.)

I think follow your child is a little nutty. =) But thats just me. I think that children need to be allowed to learn to do things from other people. If your going to follow them to school, around school, be in the class all day, you might as well home school them. =0 (Not bashing mothers who do this, or who homeschool) I know its a hard thing, but its gotta be done...

On the plus side Sometime within the next few weeks, we parents at my sons school can start going into the classes to help out. Background checks first. Then helping. =) I can't wait.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'm surprised they let the mom do that. That's way over the top!

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I put my son on the bus and let him go. I am going with my daughter for the entire time tomorrow but that's only because it is an "orientation" and is now designed that way. Monday morning though she is on her own. That being said, I spend a lot of time volunteering in the school whether it's in the classroom or on other projects. When I happen to be in a classroom with my own child I'm not there to watch over them. Once we hit those front doors they are under school authority, not mommy authority. =)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Heck no! It would never have occurred to me! Our school has a "practice" day in late summer where kindergarteners can ride the bus with mom and/or dad, find their classroom and meet the teacher. Then there is a snack in the cafeteria and you take the bus home again. I think this is a great idea and takes a lot of the anxiety away from both kids and moms. Then they can brave that first day by themselves.
    chije

Answer by chije at 9:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010