Why do my Bisquick dumplings come out gooey?

Now, generally not ALL of them are this gooey gummy yucky at the end. Some of them turn out like biscuits, but, not all. What am I doing wrong? I've been cooking forever with bisquick, but, this is the one thing that just eludes me!

josie_mommyof2

Asked by josie_mommyof2 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I haven't made them in forever. Are you using the dumpling recipie on the box? That is what I used and they turned out pretty good.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 12:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Sure am! lol My MIL, makes them and has no idea what I am doing incorrectly...neither do I!
    josie_mommyof2

Answer by josie_mommyof2 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• are you letting them cook long enough, and is the soup is boiling when you drop them in. I always have my chicken stop boiling then drop them in by a spoonful, after few seconds they will come to top and i put lid on and let them cook for about 5 min. I have noticed if I dont let them cook all the way they are gooey but that is usually only reason.
    pigsallyannie

Answer by pigsallyannie at 12:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Make sure you are cooking them long enough. Also try not to crowd the pot. I have done that before and ended up with one big gooey dumpling.
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 12:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Make sure that when you put them in the soup, you put them on top of the meat and veggies, not straight into the broth. Them seem to cook a lot better if the sit "on top" of everything.
    Also, be sure that you are only simering them, not too fast. Simmer 10 min uncovered, then 10 min covered. They really need to barely simmer. I used to cook them too much, and they came out like little round balls of goo...YUCK! This way, they are always soft and fluffy.
    I also like to use a big, round skillet-type pan instead of a big pot. There's a lot more surface area for them too cook.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• yep.. they are supposed to be a tad bit dry when you drop them in AND you have to make sure it isnt in there for the WHOLE soup cooking time.. they are meant to be dropped in LAST
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 1:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• cook them longer and don't take the lid off.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I make drop dumplings with busqiuck mix. I make sure not to drop themin any bigger than 2 in. across because they spread so much. Make sure the liquid you have in whatever you are cooking is at a low boil.Drop dumpling in and leave 10 minutes with cover off, then 10 minutes with it on.
    Works like a charm.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008