Why does my son throw a fit 6 months old?

My son just turned 6 months old and when I put him down he throws a terrible fit, why is he doing that now when before he didn't? any suggestions and what can I do to stop it. Is this just a phase for 6 month olds???

Ashley200804

Asked by Ashley200804 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My boy just turned 6 months a few days ago too! He throws a fit for no reason sometimes (or when he's uncomfortablle) but not for being held. We actually hold him A LOT! When we shop he gets held by his Dad still (in those baby bjorn things, ours is a jeep brand). I work with him and run errands and hold him when I do that. He'll sit on my lap at the computer, etc... So the few times I do put him down like to cook, and maybe have him watch a short film so I can get work done, he's usually pretty ok. I don't want to sound like I know what to do, or you aren't doing enough, but my first thought was that maybe he doesn't get held enough which is why he doesn't want to be put down! I've seen many baby's in those portable carseats having a fit between the ages of 1 month and 1 year and it just doesn't feel natural! My baby never cried like that unless he was really gassy or teething!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 12:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The solution is simple: If he's crying to be held, hold the lad. :) He might be feeling needy or insecure or who knows what.. The point is.. If your baby cries, it's your job to figure out why and make it all better.. Even if all he wants is to be held or to cry in arms. Enjoy him, Momma. :)

Jen: Mommy to 3 crazy boys and a faery princess
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Seperation anxiety. it started with my son around that time and is just now starting to get better (he's 9 months) 1 thing I have noticed that helps is I try not to make a big deal. I used to talk to him and be sad and feel bad, but now I put him down and say I'm sorry mommy's busy right now. If he keeps crying for more than a minute or two I talk to him to tell him what I'm doing, but I talk like normal and not sympathetic to him crying. he usually stops right away.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 2:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Mine does it as a means of control. He actually laughs at me when I get frustrated!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2008