Homework Help?

My 8 year old son just finished his homework. He had to write a definition to a word and then use the word in a sentence. I was being impatient and kept prompting him on how to spell things, and I thought to myself, "Stop that, it's HIS homework, not yours!"

How much help is appropriate?

chije

Asked by chije at 9:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• def help, but make him figure out the answer. make him sound the word out, thats my moms way and ive gotten all a's in grammar and english.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If he is really confused on something, explain it. Explain it again. Then you can give him an example with a different word and sentence. Then let him try it with his word(s)
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 9:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• When my kids where that age I would have them try their homework on their own. If they got stuck I would have them try to spell the word themselves. I would also have them write it out because I have found that for my children they are visual learners so if they try writing it it is easier for them.

I think it is natrual to want to help and it is hard to see your kids struggle, although it is sometimes good for them.

Good Luck and don't worry!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• helping him to figure out the answer is best, just telling him what to do isn't really any help in the long run. maybe show him how to use a dictionary or use a childrens dictionary online??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My 8 year olds teacher told me (tonight at their open house) to let him do his homework, after I explain it, then circle any wrong answers or spellings and have them change them......then we're supposed to leave the circles there that way the teacher knows what areas to work on with him.

Explain things, let him try and then go over it when he's done.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My second son got real good with suckering me just one more problem Mom,... I still don't quite get it. Lol I learned quick,... too much help they feel like u are always going to help with half,...at the same time don't want to see them struggle either and get a bad grade. Actually in the end I think u will know when u have done too much. Now i suggest to them (putting math aside) where to go for answers and how to get to the answer instead of the answer outright. Now math,... I will actually grade their homework and look it over when they are done. I tell them which ones are wrong and they have to correct the problems themselves. Still help but all in all they are doing it themselves.
    Mariejen

Answer by Mariejen at 9:16 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Try and make him do the work his self I know it if is faster for us to help them but don't just be there he can't learn by his self what is he going to learn. Be there close find things for yourself to be doing while he is doing his and you can help if he gets stuck.
    With my dd I have her do the home work then I look over everything and have her correct what is wrong she's so good at spelling though I rarely have to correct any of that math dh & I both help with that as much as we can
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oh I hated those "use the word in a sentence". I know they work, but it was really tough for my son. My DH came up with a great idea: start every sentence with "Silly Patrick (our son's name)... and then Patrick would continue. it kept him laughing and for some reason it worked!
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:47 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Appropriate help will keep him on task and clarify instructions. Beyond that is doing it for him.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010