3 year old, big appitite

my daughte is 3, and she is constantly wanting something to eat. I am not kidding when I say she will have lie 5 things to eat before 9 am.every 5 minutes she is asking for something.Its not a growth spurt because this has been going on for almost a year now, and its so frusterating. what should I do?

navywifey08

Asked by navywifey08 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sometimes when kids are really thirsty, they feel like the are hungry. Try giving her lots of water to drink, and she shouldn't be as hungry. This did work with my DD.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Is she eating decent size meals or just snick snacking herself to death. I would make sure she has cereal and toast and maybe even an egg with juice and milk. Sometimes snacking is just a habbit. My kids used to do that all day "graze" and it would drive me nuts and it is expensive. Just stuff her at the meal and try to tell her no in between.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• How is her weight and height? If she's been doing this for a year, and she's a normal size, I would say that maybe she is normal for her. But if she is bigger than she needs to be, then maybe something needs adjusting. I know my boys will eat a pretty large bowl of cereal in the morning, juice, and water, and they are asking for lunch before nine o'clock. But then, they have weeks where they barely touch their cereal. They are each a little under the charts for their age in height and weight, but I still sometimes wonder if feeding them so much at one time can start leading to unhealthy eating habits later in life. I feed them anyway, but I do get concerned. My mother didn't let me eat when I was hungry, so I tended to gorge at my next meal. I've always struggled with my weight.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• shes 3 and she weighs 34 pounds and she is 39 inches.so shes off the chart with her weight and at the 50% of her weight.shes so tall that the look like skin and bones, and has her dads metabolism and doesnt gain weight with what she eats. but I dont want her alwas snacking cuz its not healthy and its expensive when she is eating all our "snacky" foods right away. shes usually does pretty good with her meals, sometimes doesnt eat them that well.but she just wants to snack ll day regardless if she ate a full meal or not.she has grown 3 inches in the past 6 months, I just found out today so maybe she has just been going through a throwth spurt.I like the idea that maybe the kids mistake hungry when they are thirsty.I will give that a try.thanks marsha.
    navywifey08

Answer by navywifey08 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2008