Why are you on PA? (And please read the whole question before you get defensive)

There have been many complaints about people on PA on this site and I'm just wondering what everyone's situation is for those who are on PA. What caused you to go to PA? Have you always been on PA?

Currently, I'm on WIC right now because my husband was recently medically retired from the Coast Guard and we are both going to school. We're basically living off our student loans, the GI Bill and his disability. We're not on any other kind of public assistance. We don't get food stamps, but we should. It would help out alot.

What's your story?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 9:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not, and never have been. Nothing against those that are, everyone has their reasoning for needing it.
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 9:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• im not but my husband is in the military and with a baby on the way he doesnt make enough to support all 3 of us. i will apply for wic. im too sick to work and if i did my job would only pay for day care so we would rather just have me stay at home
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My son and I get medical assistance through PA. Mine will only last until I'm 21, then I am cut off. In Pennsylvania all children are guaranteed medical- I just happen to meet the income guidelines for free medical. No food stamps, cash assistance, or any other services or programs.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Im not on anything.. and have never been on anything like that. I hope my life stays that way! (Not saying that i dont appriciate those things)
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 10:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was on WIC at the end of my pregnancy and the first 8 months of my son's life. I had stopped working and we qualified for it, so we got it. When I went back to work I contacted the office and told them they could close my file. They told me I still had 4 months before they would check income again, so I could continue getting checks if I wanted. I told them I no longer qualified, and would no be coming back. They seemed shocked, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am, not that I'm proud of it. I get $382/month in food stamps for a family of 5, with my FIL's retirement from the military, and my own income.

Why? Because it is needed, and I owe no one any other explanation than that.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I was on WIC with our first born because we didnt make enough for 3 but now we are a family of 4 and we are fine with money now
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• we are on it, medicad and food stamps, we just wanted the medical coverage because niether of us could get it through work, and if something was too happen we couldn't afford to go to the doctor, but when we went to sign up for it they wanted to put us on food stamps as well, it's helped us out alot. Both of us already work and niether one of us could find a better paying job so we didn't know what else to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• We used to get WIC after our son was born and I lost my job. And I was on Medicaid for my second pregnancy because we didn't intend to get pregnant at the time and our insurance through my husband's work is CRAP, which means EXTRA crappy when having to go to the doctor that often, and we just couldn't afford the medical bills.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• During each of my pregnancies I got WIC, my DH used to be a over the road truck driver and barely brought home enough to pay for our house.

Personally I see absolutely nothing wrong with people getting help when they need it, and I'm glad that there is this kind of help out there!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010