Got a question about short term disability and maternity leave

Okay, so HR will not return any of my calls, so I'm hoping some of you ladies can help me with this. I have short term disability thru my employer. So when I go on maternity leave, can I use my short term disability? I know I can use FMLA, but that does not pay. So does anyone have any idea how this works?? Thanks!

jaysmommy08

Asked by jaysmommy08 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I just got short term disability, and yes you should be able to use it. I am a teacher and he said even if I am off for the summer, or use my accumulated sick days, and have health insurance, they will still write me a check. I hope this helps!
    eagerforbaby

Answer by eagerforbaby at 1:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My dr office gave me papers to fill out and return, and for 12 weeks I received 2/3 of my regular pay through disability, 6 weeks for having the baby and 6 weeks to 'bond' (LOL that is sooo funny to me!)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• FMLA is only applicable to companies of 50 or more employees. IF you work at a small company you need to read your personnel manual and see what they offer. I work for a small company and our boss follows FMLA but does not have to. He also let employees add vacation time to extend their leave. I am an adoptive mom, so I got leave without pay and guaranteed my job position.
    NJ has state disability that pays 4 weeks before birth and 6 weeks (8 if C section) after birth
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• First of all yes, you can use short term disability for that; however most employers require you to you the first week or two weeks of our own personal time before the short term disability kicks in. For instance my job short term disability automatically kicks in of you are still on medical and have exhausted all your sick leave. No matter what the rules are of the employer, if you have disability insurance it covers maternity
    Kishakee

Answer by Kishakee at 8:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yes u can use short term disabitly as long as they approve u for it!!!
    aydensophia0408

Answer by aydensophia0408 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2008