Short term disability and Maternity leave

Okay, so HR will not return any of my calls, so I'm hoping some of you ladies can help me with this. I have short term disability thru my employer. So when I go on maternity leave, can I use my short term disability? I know I can use FMLA, but that does not pay. So does anyone have any idea how this works?? Thanks!

jaysmommy08

Asked by jaysmommy08 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• if you have worked at your employer for over 6 months, yes that is exactly what short term disability is for. generally though you have to start the process of applying for it several months before you will be out, it can take a while for them to process it so if you wait until the last minute you could be back at work before you ever see your first payment.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Well it depends on your state law. Where I lived at the time with my daughter, I was able to use my short term disability, but only AFTER I used the 12 weeks of maternity leave.
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 12:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• you're right fmla does not pay you. california has a pregnancy disability program that DOES pay you while you're on maternity leave and guarantees time off/a job to return to:

guaranteed time off (no pay):
    4-weeks pre-delivery-pregnancy disability leave
    6/8-weeks post-delivery (depending on whether you had a c-section)-cfla
    12-weeks post-delivery (which runs concurrently with the cfla)-fmla

how you get paid:
    4-weeks pre-delivery (up to 55% of salary)-pregnancy disability
    6/8-weeks post-delivery (up to 55% of salary)-pregnancy disability
    up to a year after delivery that you are not getting paid full-time salary (either not working at all or only part-time)-state short-term disability (up to 55% of your salary)

THEN, on top of that, if you have short-term disability from your work, they will probably cover the rest of your salary that the state doesn't cover.
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 1:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2008