Dance

I'd like to hear from some ladies who have their son's in dance classes. My son is 4 and taking Jazz with his 3 year old sister. I'd like him to take tap but the classes don't coordinate with our schodule. Also do the dad's support your son's in dance class? Mine reluctantly does.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Well, I really don't have my son in a dance class, per se: He's in Show Choir and we're so proud of him for making it because it's very competitive. He really enjoys it and it's something he's been wanting to do for a long time. And there are a lot of talented kids in that group.

Even though the schedule is a bit grueling (way more than an ec sport), we support him because he loves it and we're proud of him. And I'm so proud of my hubby supporting him because 1) some guys wouldn't be because they're too "macho" and 2) my hubby was/is very athletic! So we just assumed our son would follow in his footsteps.

Also, I love a guy who can dance!

Anonymous

• some men and boys see dance as a very feminine activity so if they are homophobic they will have a problem with it.

Dance is great for any boy that may want to get into sports later though! It teaches great flexibility and agility. If you are worried about what the dad thinks, maybe try a capoeira class, it's a dance based martial art, the base step is a jazz square.

I'd suggest just sticking one style until he's older and can decide for himself if he wants to learn tap. I used to teach 5 year olds, and at his age, tap is not the best to try.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My husband said when he was in Basic Training that the strongest guy in the group was the one who did ballet.

Answer by Bmat at 8:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2008