"they" say back is best to put an infant to sleep....

But is it really? What if they throw up everything that was in their stomach like my 4.5 month old just did? Luckily I was holding her because she was really upset and she threw up all over me

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby was asleep when she did this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• ive never seen a infant throw up a while after eating usually pretty instant.... even still a baby can throw up while on tummy and then be laying facedown into its own puke. i think on back it stays down more often than not.
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It really is. Their heads are often turned to the side. Be sure to burp an infant before putting them down to reduce chances of spit-up.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It seems like that gets changed often, I remeber when my little sister was a baby and everyone was told them had to lay her on her stomach or she could get SIDS. I just coslept my dd when she was little then I didn't worry about it so much
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I always put my kids on their stomach to sleep, I was afraid they would choke on spit-up. Besides, they slept with me until they were 4 months old, and by then they can life their head. I was always careful to put them in an empty crib with a light blanket so they wouldn't put their face in something. My kids always prefered to sleep on their stomachs.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It has been three hours since she ate and she just threw it all up. We think she is teething and chocked on her drool that she allows to collect in her mouth. She got extremely upset and threw everything up.
    MelSwim7

Comment by MelSwim7 (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• The reason 'they' say it's best is because since the rise of SIDS, studies have proven a decrease in it by laying them on their back. While 'they' say it's best, it's not always best for each child. At 4.5 months, she should be getting pretty good head control and will turn to the side if on her back.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• All for of my babies were tummy sleepers. The "gotta put 'em on their backs" fad hadn't come onto the parenting scene when I had kids. Never had any issues whatsoever with any of them sleeping on their tummies. The majority of the people that populate this world were raised sleeping on their tummies. As a pp stated, this advice changes on a regular basis. I say let your baby sleep however they are most comfortable.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• If I were you I would do my own research and read some new medical journals and see what they have found. For me personally I will always lay my baby(s) down on his/her back because it has been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• yeah. "they" say that babies should be put to sleep on their backs because it has been one of the only factors shown to reduce incidences of SIDS. most babies will turn their head to the side in what is known as the fencer's pose when they are sleeping so, even if they were to throw up, it would run down the side of their face.
    I agree with the pp who mentioned that at 4.5 months baby should have enough head control and ability to roll so baby will make themselves comfortable on their side or even stomach to sleep- but baby should be allowed to position themselves like this from their back first.
    also, perhaps it was your baby's being so upset that caused her to puke. I hope that one occasion of your child throwing up does not compell you to go against sound pediatric advice.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010