What's your best choice for removing stains (food/grease) on baby clothes?

Is there a particular brand that works on EVERYTHING or is one thing preferable over another? Also, what about mildew on a bib that got forgotten on the laundry floor? Anything to salvage it?

MishOrion

Asked by MishOrion at 10:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Someone once told me to use denture tablets... I just put four or five in with the wash and it has worked miracles
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• it depends on the base of the stain. oil-based stains will usually come off when you pre-soak them with a dab of talc/baby powder (it lifts the oil out). anything works better if you pre-soak. i've used dishwashing detergent as a pre-soak, or simply powder detergent and a bit of water.
    and the mildewed bib, i'd just throw it out.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• i use oxy clean soak before wash... my dad uses bam on his clothes when he gets grease on his shirts and washes that part by hand (hes a messy eater) lol
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 10:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• At least for me Lestoil gets oil stains and watermarks out every time, just put some on the spot, leave it for 5 minutes, and wash it out. It's even gotten out set in oil stains that have already been washed and dried. I'm not sure about the mildew, but I would do a google search, I've found lots of stain tips that way.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Oh, I thought you were only asking about oil stains. So Lestoil is best for oil stains. Soaking in Biz is best for dirt. Shout Advance gel is best for yellowish baby stains like spit up, vinegar is best for fruit stains. I'm still not good at other food stains. I soak almost every stained item in Biz unless it's one of the other mentioned things; oil, spit up, or fruit. Biz is amazing, better than Oxy Clean in my experience. And don't put the item in the dryer, as long as it hasn't gone in the dryer you can keep treating it (if you care that much)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I avoid products that can irritate my skin and my children's skin - but I still like clean, spotless clothes :) I have had wonderful success with the EcoSense line of laundry products. They are eco-friendly, safe and gentle and less expensive than store and national brands. To remove grease stains the Prespot works great - for really stubborn stains I rub the Antibacterial liquid soap onto the stain - let it stand for a few minutes- and rinse with warm water. I had a mold stain on a shirt that got left in a bag after the beach - I was told to rub the ToothPolish on the stain - I couldn't believe it, but it worked! :) You can get more info on these products at www.saferforyourhome.com. - I have been using these for 3 years and will not use anything else! Good Luck!
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I put a little bit of Dawn dish detergent on the front and back of the stain and then put it in the washer as normal.
    sagesmom724

Answer by sagesmom724 at 12:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2010