Give us this day our daily bread... What does this mean?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Lord, give us what we NEED today, not what we WANT. I love this prayer.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For ....
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. [33] But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
    [34] “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
    (Matthew 6:25-34 ESV)

It's a petition to provide for our basic necessities.
    Gal51

• I think it refers to giving us that which sustains us physically(i.e.food, shelter, etc.) but also that which sustains us spiritually. i think sometimes our wants and needs can coincide and be perfectly ok. for instance, the main reason i KNOW my art is where Spirit wants me to invest my energy is because all the supplies i need always come to me. sometimes i have the money, but mostly they just...come..... people find things or bring things they forgot they had but just know i can use... i find stuff and rarely have to spend much money. i can't explain it, other than Spirit. i've never met another artist that this happens to. It's amazing and humbling and makes every piece of art an act of Faith for me. ok, way off topic:) sorry.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 11:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I always thought it was reference to when moses was taking his people from Egypt to the promised land which consisted of a 40 year trek across the desert.. While traveling the desert they had run out of food. God thus provided the food in the form of Manna which the Israelites then ground and baked into cake like breads on a daily basis in order to sustain them through the long journey. Hence the saying of "Give us this day our daily bread"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• on a shallow level "dont let us starve" and on a deeper level "help us survive this day"
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:05 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• scriptural food
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• This was not referring to actual food ... Jesus said HE is the bread of life. So we need HIS Words to be life to us daily. When you read His word it is spiritual food for our spirit daily.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Jesus is the bread of life. Without Him we will not survive. We will not live eternally.
    Godslight85

Answer by Godslight85 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010