Abraham's covenent and circumcision and parent's choice... I have some questions here. adult content

I don't understand why it's the parent's job to keep Abraham's covenent FOR their children. A baby is not making the intentional choice to keep the covenent, which moots the whole point of circumcision. It was supposed to prove themselves to God... that's what Abraham's circumcision was all about. A baby doesn't prove anything to God by having his parents choose it for him... so it's the PARENTS keeping THEIR covenent with God and that means that God is requireing parents to do bodily harm to their children to prove themselves to Him.

At least that's how it seems to me. I'm so confused, I know I"m not seeing something here... could you ladies please enlighten me?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Circumcision was a sign of the covenant, and signified being a part of the covenant of which babies were. That is why they circumcised.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Jeez people she's wondering why a God would require parents to HARM their children with mutilation as a sign of a covenant with him. To try and compare cutting off a foreskin to baptism is simply ridiculous.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:11 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Here we go with the mutilation crap again.....there are much more painful things that children go through than a 10 second pain right at birth. I think it is HARMING your child to try and protect them from every little discomfort so you don't have to "feel bad". It is your right to come on here and bash others, but I am going to call you on your crap. Up until about 30 years ago, circumcision was commonplace, and it never traumatized or scarred anyone mentally. It is your choice to do it or not, but she is asking what the religious reasons are, not why YOU chose not to.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:51 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I have 2 sons, both who are circumsized. I chose to do this for sanitary reasons. I have had 2 family members have to be circumsized at an older age because thegot repeated infections, I didn't want my sons to go through it. Having a boy circumsized at birth, or soon after, is very quick and the baby forgets all about it after a minute and never thinks about it again. I agree with you that a covenant with God should be made as an adult and of their own free will.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 10:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Now I kind of have to defend the one reply to a point yes she should have read the post better but a month or so ago go there was one post that this mom posted calling us mean and every thing else. So there is a few of us that has are guards up about it I do hope you find what you are looking for and I do agree with these moms on this one I did it for health reasons that's it.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 2:19 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Gal51- I don't have a 'beef' with your God. I have disrespect for people who believe in this mythological being who is anything BUT kind, loving and rational. I have disrespect for those believers who make crazy, nonsensical excuses for his tyrannical and unkind behavior. I have sadness for those who think this is love in any way shape or form when in all actuality, it's nothing but an abusive relationship with a make believe being they have erroneously been lead to think they have to be dependant on for their very happiness.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• And I'm asking, trying to understand the RELIGIOUS reasons to get it done. I'm not judging anyone, I don't understand the whole Abraham's covenent thing. So I'm asking, trying to gain more knowledge and udnerstanding. Maybe you should do the same some time.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I have no idea what abraham's covenet is, but I think that God doesn't want everyone trying to corect the way he made penises look.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Well, the Anon is pretty upset....... I am not sure about the answer for this, I was just curious as well so I checked out your question. I think the other poster has some issues..... did she even READ the question?

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• *signified being a part of the covenant COMMUNITY ... sorry, I posted too quickly.
    Gal51