PTA/PTO

Just wondering about those of you who are involved... Are teachers at your school required to go if a parent of a child in their class is in the PTA/PTO??? Isn't that the point of it, for the Parents AND Teachers to have a meeting? I understand that they do other things, like sponsering dances and chaperoning them, but shouldn't the focus be to work with the teachers? How can you do this if your child's teacher isn't into the PTA/PTO meetings?
I am very new to all this and have yet to attend my first meeting, but upon asking the president, she replied that most teachers do not attend. I don't understand this, if teachers don't go, then why should it still be called Parent/Teacher?? Shouldn't they find another name for the group that doesn't seem to imply teachers to be participating?

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 10:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in

• PTO in our area is really more of parents working to help teachers out, they plan fund raisers, do teacher appreciation, host school carnivals, etc. I've been a member as a parent and as a teacher and never expected to work with the parents in my class or to work with my child's teacher. That's what parent teacher conferences are for.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am a PTO member. PTO raises money for school sponsored activities, playground equipment, smart boards, etc. It is not necessarily about your child and your child's teacher.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• What is PTO. The only PTO I know is Paid Time Off... I don't think my school has one... Our PTA does all the stuff Courtney mentioned.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• PTO is the same only instead of assosiation they call it organization. I guess all these years I've just assumed that because they threw the word teacher in there that your childs teacher would be involved and that it would be another way for you to connect with them and other teachers at the school as well as doing other things to help out the school/teachers.
    Sarasmoonflower

Comment by Sarasmoonflower (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• It's required that teachers attend
    crouchingmommy

Answer by crouchingmommy at 11:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• they dont have to be there so come.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• some
    mekarevell