Question about WIC (Important)

I just went to get my wic checks and I noticed 2 things. 1)They only gave me formula checks for this month, my daughter wont be 1 until Dec.4. But they gave me checks starting Nov.9th that give me whole milk.
2)They are giving me checks for her to get peanut butter. I was told that a child should not be given peanut butter until age 3.

I have never had a problem with WIC before. But what should I do about this? They are leaving me with almost 2 months worth of formula to buy her which I can not really afford. And I dont even know if she will be off of formula by exactly 1 yr. I doubt it. And about the peanut butter, does anyone know why they would be giving me this for my 11 month old daughter? She is 10 months now but the peanut butter nd whole milk checks start when she is 11 months.

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They are probably just making sure they are not going to be paying for formula for a 1 y/o. You can see if you can get formula for a month but, they aren't going to give it to you past a year whether you want it or not. My kids have had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches since they could eat bread and they are fine. Drs worry that they can choke on the pb but, as long as your watching ehr she will be fine. If you don't want it don't get it. From one to five y/o kids get the same thing for WIC.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• When you go to wic you supposed to see someone who give's you a sheet of when and what your baby should be eating and also when and how much food. Wic give's check's to the mom also, that offer's you regular milk, you sure they did'nt add you on to the benefit's. Trust me when your baby tast'es reg milk instead of formula she'll love it, have you ever tasted formula? yuck I have..lol..
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• they should of given you a check for her to finish formula. I have been on WIC with 4 kids and they where on formula up until they where 1. They give peanut butter at 2 not 3. But still weird that you got it. I went in for WIC today and my 1yr got peas/beans.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Oh as soon as your baby turn's one they won't give you any more formula, at all. That's probably why they gave you check's with formula exactly until her b-day. Trust me they never get it wrong, every month when I think my baby won't have enough formula, she does. They calculate that perfect formula is too expensive.
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• WIC is supplemental, not a soul means of providing food for your child(ren)

buy the formula yourself if you want her to continue on it.

If your family or your baby's father's family have a history of peanut allergy, it's recommended to wait, but if there is no history of allergy, 1 year is the standard for peanut butter.

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• OK thanks for the PB info. I was always told wait til atleast 2. And we have no history of peanut allergies on either side. But the formula checks arent exactly to her birthday. I have one check left for this months formula, and then a day before she turns 11 months the next set of checks starts and they are only giving whole milk. And now that I look at it I notice they have her on regular frozen juice? Is that even ok to give to her? And no the food is not for me, the checks have her name on them. And FlutterFae I do buy my own food. I only really needed WIC for help with formula.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• My doctor told me that they dont like to give children PB because of allergies. If they have it to young they can get allergies to peanuts. Thats just what I was told
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• 1) Are you sure they got her B-day information right? If they have the wrong date on their records then that could be the issue. 2) PB is fine; just be sure it's not a whole lot at one time. 3) The frozen juice that's fine to just diluted more then the package said to do. If it said to add 3 cans of water then add 5-6 cans of water.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• why didn't you address this when you were at the clinic?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Yes they have her birthdate correct. I didnt address it at the clinic because I was in a rush to get out and get my DD to her Dr.s appointment. So I didnt sit down and look at the checks until I got home.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2008