Haviong trouble getting my 4 yr old to obey the first time around, any suggestions?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try making eye contact, getting down on his/her "eye level", take away toys, special things, privelages, etc
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think its rare to find toddlers that will listen the first time around. I find if I stay calm and clearly get on my sons level and use his name and repeat, maybe a few times what I need of him that can help.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• It is amazing to think that a child, only in the world a few years would be able to comprehend the directives we give to them. I ask a child do you know what I mean? They give this blank look, or tell me its something daddy did. I've learned that they learn by example. I invite them to do things with me. I start the process. For example: I want them to hold their glass and not spill it. We take a glass together and walk across the kitchen holding it until we get to the table. Make a game out of it until they are doing what you want by them selves. One other point. I had a child that hated to shut the french doors to the livingroom after he went in. I wanted them kept shut to keep the dog out of the room. No matter how may times I told him, he just couldn't remember to do it. My husband finally pointed out to me, I wish we were as perfect as we expect our kids to be. Show loving kindness and mercy. For this is what we want.
    Prayerpartner

Answer by Prayerpartner at 4:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• get on their level, and be firm.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• thanks mamas :) I think sometimes I am too rushed or doing something that I don't take the time to do that. That was yesterday.
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Take away toys, time outs, no snacks.. etc.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 12:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Making clear expectations and consequences for listening/not listening the first time.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• When someone finds the answer...let me know...my 3 1/2 year old takes several commands before she actually does what I ask....and even then it's a whine fest with her o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:39 AM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i guess i'm lucky... i don't give my child 14 times to do something... they can either do what they are asked... or they can go to bed... they can eat dinner or go hungry... they can be quiet and follow directions in the store or we can go home...
    it's not threats... it's honest truth... if my girls don't listen in the store, i will walk right out and drive them home... it took ONCE for that to happen and we have never had an issue again...
    give them an option... "you have ONE chance to do THIS, or THIS is what we will do instead"... so "you have one chance... please pick up your toys. if you choose NOT to, you can go to bed without a snack".... and follow through.
    then praise them for listening...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010