Exercises I can do at my desk

I'm looking for excersices I can do at my desk, like while I'm on hold for 45 minutes. It can't be like jumping jacks, I do have other people near me, so I dont want to look like an idiot, but I'd like to burn as many calories as I can while I sit in this chair for 8 hrs a day. I already walk at lunch, but I only have 30 minutes so a quick lap around the parking lot is all I get in before I have to at my lunch and get back to my desk.

customcat2000

Asked by customcat2000 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• thigh master
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• if you're on a hands free head set, then you can exercise different muscles in the upper body.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Google it. You'll find tons of sites with tons of stuff you can do.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Butt clinches work great! :) Also straigten your leg (under the desk), flex your foot, then squeeze your quad as hard as you can and hold it. Feel the burn!
    nldeviney

Answer by nldeviney at 4:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Tapping your heels down for as long a time as you can should be discrete and burn a few calories. Or tap your heel forward and pull in toward your chair, alternate heels- nobody should notice this and it works on strengthening. The backend clinches are another invisible exercise. and tummy lifts- lift and hold. A few shoulder rolls shouldn't cause people to look at you. How about discrete hands open and closed- can be done with hands hidden under the desk and no one will know. Anything isometric- pressing the knees together, pressing the palms together, How about lifting the knee up and pressing it against the bottom of the desk. A few knee lifts- bringing the knee in toward the chest (if you are wearing pants) shouldn't cause comments if only a few are done.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I used to do bathroom exercises. Every time I went to the bathroom, I would do lunges, squats etc. At your desk you can do abdominal crunches and bicep curls with your water bottle.
    Iheartsushi

Answer by Iheartsushi at 12:38 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I found a great way to exercise when I was browsing the internet. Yogadownload.com is a good source. They have a lot of free downloads. I downloaded one called office yoga (I had to pay 3.00 for this one, but well worth it) It is a series of stretches that you do sitting at your desk. You may want to plug in headphones just so you won't disturb anyone else with the sound, but I tell my co-workers that it is time for yoga and they understand perfectly. I feel better and my joints don't hurt as much after 8 hours of sit time.
    45nfeelinpretty

Answer by 45nfeelinpretty at 1:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I am always trying to find answers to this question. Sometimes I will take a "bathroom break" and just walk up and down the steps between floors to get in some fitness. We talk about this on the buzz blogs of Prevention.com. Check us out for some ideas: http://buzz.prevention.com/community/sharon-rt/five-easy-ways-to-find-time-for-fitness-2
    healthygirl0913

Answer by healthygirl0913 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2008