Is it safe to lose weight while pregnant?

I'm not talking about doing anything unhealthy... I'm talking about being MORE healthy. Eating better, walking and swimming... any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i lost weight during pregnancy..my dr instructed me to do the south beach diet bc i was already overweight..although i failed and didnt lose the weight i wish i had of made more of an effort bc in the end my weight almost killed me...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I think that's perfectly safe. I know I do it everytime I'm pregnant because I want my baby to be healthier. I just eat better meals/exercise more and the weight drops off. However make sure you don't exert yourself too much, but walking and swimming sound nice and gentle. GL.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My doctor told me to not introduce any new physical activity ... eating healthy is a plus though!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• That is something to ask your doctor. Some women that are obese may be advised to lose weight. Women that are normal weight need to gain weight during pregnancy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I think you should wait until the baby is born, then you can go start losing weight. If I'm not mistaken, if you lose weight, so would the baby, make sense?
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• if oyur overwieght and change your diet and excersixe habbits for your baby and it puts you in better shape it cant be unhealthy.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My dr has always told me to never lose weight during pg , of course some women do it naturally meaning not even trying, i dnt see nothing wrong w/trying to eat healthy, im planning on doing that on my next pg, i want to gain the average 20-25lbs not the 50lbs like i gained n my last pg.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I am overweight and I was told to. I just limited my starch, and sugar and only ate whole foods, nothing hydrogenated or enriched. Did some walking too. That's not a shock to your system! It's a welcome!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• My doctor told me I 'should' loss weight in my first 4-5 months since I was already over weight then I was asked to maintain my weight (which is still losing) until I was around the 7 month mark at that point he wanted to see me gain no more than 5-10 pounds trying to stay closer to 5. I failed horribly! II did lose the first 5 then maintained for a few months. I gained 20 pounds after that. From pre pregnancy t post check up I lost 30 lbs. Some of it I am sure was breast feeding though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• its ok to eat healthy n try not to gain to much weight n walking helps alot n drink lots of water wen doing it. my doc put me on a mild diet just stay off the fatty foods n sweets no sodas lol i cheayed on that once in a wile. but yes it ok to loose in stead of over gaining weight thats hard too loose at the end..
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2010