My 4yr old autistic son grinds his teeth and it is driving me nuts. Any suggestions on getting him to not do it or maybe lessen the frequency.

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• One of my children was a teeth grinder and we ended up having to get him a gum shield sort of thing from the doctors because he was wearing his teeth down - with the shield on he started to stop doing it since it didn't give him the same feeling/whatever and now he doesn't need it at all. Our GP recommended it to us.

Answer by leah_rai at 11:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• I'd say try some sort of mouth guard

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:29 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Paci, its the only reason my 3 and half year old still has his. We use it for bedtime and have it incase something stressful comes up out in public. My son is also autistic.

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:20 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• get him a mouth guard. i believe they sell them at walmart.

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:39 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Maybe asking the dr for a teeth sheild?

Answer by sstepph at 12:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• make an appt. w/his dentist or orthodontist to get a shield. That also can lead to jaw pain in the a.m.(most people grind teeth during sleep at night) They will be able to give you tips for managing the problem-and be able to see if something can help.

Answer by Sevas_Mami at 2:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment by momoftwokids547 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• talk to the dr or dentist... my 3year old does the same thing (non autistic)... and we got her a sleep guard to protect her teeth... since starting to use it.. she has lessened and even then stopped... even without theguard... it took about 1 year.

Answer by asil at 9:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010