Should someone not be able to hold public office based on their religious beliefs, or lack thereof?

In some states it is illegal for an atheist to hold a public office. If we are supposed to have separation of church and state, how do these states get away with something like that. Am I any less qualified to lead in a government position just because I don't believe in a God? Personally I think it should be the other way around. Too often people in public office impose their religious views on those whom they govern. If you are incapable of compartmentalizing your religious beliefs from your civic duties, you should not be put into any position of power. What are you're thoughts on the matter?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree. I live in the bible belt, and it is so hard for people here to understand that not everyone is a christian.
    brock-lee

Answer by brock-lee at 1:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• holy cow! I think some states need to change their state constitutions!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• "If you are incapable of compartmentalizing your religious beliefs from your civic duties, you should not be put into any position of power."

I agree with this statement completely. What comes to mind is Palin's pastor praying over her to be elected as governor as "God's Will", her belief the the Iraq War was God's will, the Alaska pipeline is in God's hands, etc.
    Anonymous

• No, that's wrong. That's called discrimination.
    Anonymous

• In some states it is illegal for a woman to appear in public without a corsette. In others, it's illegal for a woman to wear one at all. Did you know that?

There are many, many laws still on the books that need to be purged.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Hell no! I love my constitution, and the founding fathers for having the foresight to require seperation between church and state. (Remember, they had already experienced religious persecution when they wrote the Constitution.) To keep someone from holding office due to religious or spiritual beliefs(or lack thereof) would be unconstitutional and just plain wrong. Does anyone remember Hitler and the near-extermination of the jewish peoples under his "Christian" leadership? Oh, and how many other examples of such genocide I could mention(like the Crusades) in the name of a religion...We Americans should hold ourselves to a higher standard.
    abusedmom

Answer by abusedmom at 1:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• The main reason the USA was formed: To form a nation in which one had the right to observe thier own religion. If you think that constitutional law should be changed to require that only "christians" could hold office, then you should pack up and leave now, because you clearly don't want to be a citizen of the United States. You are Un-American. Get out.
    Anonymous

• Anon 142 are you talking to someone in particular, or just making a blanket statement to cover anyone who would agree with such a thing.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Hey, Kaycee14, do you think the constitutional provision that requires seperation between church and state is of the same importance as out-dated corsette laws? There's tons of out-dated laws on the books, sure. But do you see them as remotely comperable?

"There are many, many laws still on the books that need to be purged."-Kaycee14
    What, exactly, are you thinking of doing away with? Do you want to require all office-holders to be christians?And if so, how do you find out if they really are christians. we all know of people who call themselves christians but do not have a spiritual or religious bone or thought in their bodies or minds, and some that live down-right un-christian lives. Will people have to prove their christianess? Will we have witch hunts?(or jew hunts or muslim hunts?)
    Anonymous

• my2.5boys: Probably both. It is Un-American to ask that people be a certain religion to hold public office. I'm not too keen on any Satanist being president, but I never said I wouldn't be in favor of certain rational and reasonalbe provisions to keep power to fall into dangerous hands.(Such as we wouldn't want mentally unstable or diabolacle, evil people in office, but they don't usually end up on the ballot anyway...)
    Anonymous