just started them on milk.. having constipation

my twin boys are going to be 1 next week. we started whole milk at 11 months so they would be ready to drink it when our WIC checks change from formula to whole milk next week.

I was told it could be constipating and it is. They've had really, crummy, dry, pepply poop. its been weird colors also. i mean its been, white, green, white and green, orange, and dark. and I mean its weird, today tyler had two pepples that were dark dark brown and one that was orange.

plus they dont really want to eat lately. its kind of meal by meal. Taden ate well today whereas Tyler didnt.

but they've been REALLY cranky for the last few weeks. they had colds, but now they dont have many symptoms.

what should I do for their constipation? (they wont take much water, been trying that)
should I be worried?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Babies need 32 oz formula until 12 mo. Formula was invented because cow's milk makes babies ill or dead. Babies should have NO cow's milk until after 12 mo. At 12 mo you can wean babies straight from formula to water. Formula is made from modified cow's milk and is for babies that aren't breastfed to survive until they can get by on regular food. Human children do not need cow's milk, or the milk of other mammals. They are supposed to have human milk. Toddlers only need 2 servings of milk products a day (if any). They usually get that from foods they eat and they don't need to drink cow's milk. It causes constipation, digestive problems, obesity, is bad for the environment, and causes other problems.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Stop the milk. They need fluid. Water with a little juice in it. Like 75% water and 25% juice mixed in.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Their doctor told me to start the milk at 11 months.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Try using a little bit of "Miralex" in their milk. That is what my dr said for our LO when she got backed up real bad. I sprinkle a tiny bit in am bottle to keep her regular. Also the "P" fruits are great for relieving constipation, pears, peaches, plums, prunes. Be careful of juices. Bananas are a nono can cause constipation. Also give double fiber bread. HTH.
    Flower P.

Answer by Flower P. at 11:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2010

• Try almond milk i had the same problem with my son so i new that milk would be a no-no cause it got to the point where he would scream while pooping cause it was so hard and hurt really bad once he kept screaming and screaming and i couldn't figure out what was wrong i went to change his diaper and it was stuck i had to help him get it out he had not pooped for a couple days and it was big and really hard he couldn't push it out that was it i said no more he will not keep hurting like that it was horrible to watch. I went to the dr. he said try soy i did i moved on to almond milk cause it tasted better he hasn't had much constapation since i also avoid chesse that does it to. But thats how it started!!!! try prunes and apples baby food that did it every time with bottles of water.
    Proverbs3127

Answer by Proverbs3127 at 12:13 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I'm from the old school. However, I do know if you give them about a teaspoon of Karo Syrup it will do the trick. They will be so happy to get that out. Not to mention they like it.
    CATsMom362

Answer by CATsMom362 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• For GAILLL... How the heck is cows milk bad for the envirment?! I love the entertaining answers this lady gives lol!
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 12:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• I hear some people put kero syrup in the milk to jelp with constipation. I think its even available on wic
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 1:06 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• Cows emit large amounts of methane gas, plus they take up land and water. There are other reasons I can't remember right now... In any case, obviously the creating of food will deplete resources, that's unavoidable... but when you compare the production of cows milk to the production of human milk, it's a relatively large impact vs. a zero impact.

A year in, not much you can do... so it's kinda moot... but I would agree with trying other forms of dairy. A cheese and a yogurt serving, for example... or try some kefir instead. Make sure to only offer water, though. Juice should not be a substitute. Offer plenty of whole fruit.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:15 AM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son was terribly constipated from whole milk... we switched him to 2% after several weeks... and he was much better on that.
    We also kept him on toddler formula for about 2 months to supplement his diet, he got about 8 oz/day.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2010